Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Emulation & "Backup" loaders

Posted by pokeglobe 
Emulation & "Backup" loaders
November 02, 2009 10:07PM
This has probably been discussed time and time again but I thought I could make my own topic.:)

As far as I know an emulator can run "Backup GBA/NDS/Bla bla bla" When a backup loader loads "Backup" wii games.
I really do not see the difference. (I know the rules just states NO but still.)

They both load a backup of something is what I am getting at.
So why Support possible ROM piracy but not Wii?

Why not just not support both?

NOTE: I am NOT asking for support for these or anything like that!

Feel free to move this to the junkyard or so. I just thought I would ask :/
Re: Emulation & "Backup" loaders
November 02, 2009 10:32PM
Yes, this has been asked time and time again. I encourage you to use our forums search function to find the answer (which has been given at one point by every moderator and admin of the forum)
November 02, 2009 10:33PM
I thought so, Sorry bout that. :)
November 02, 2009 11:08PM
To summarise other arguments, it comes down to a few things, like Wii Backup loaders aren't hard to make (apparently), while emulators are much harder (understandably), and are considered by some to be an "art". Also, with NES games and stuff, you can no longer purchase them, so the piracy of them is considered less damaging to the games industry (although still wrong). Also, it is possible to run homebrew for various consoles through emulators, without ever touching a ROM (for example, Arikado stated in another thread on this topic that in creating his DS emulator for the Wii, which is unreleased atm btw, he has only used DS homebrew for testing). A Wii backup loader cannot be used to play homebrew, at least, not in anyway beyond the capabilities of HBC. I think I've covered most points, probably a few I missed.
November 03, 2009 02:20AM
I can think of one legitimate use for a backup loader, and that is testing to see if the Wii can properly handle a homebrew disc one has created. However, a major part of this would be making sure that there are no banner problems, and no backup loader that exists right now loads banners. Also, homebrew discs no longer are useful on most Wiis.
November 03, 2009 09:18AM
WikiFSX
I can think of one legitimate use for a backup loader, and that is testing to see if the Wii can properly handle a homebrew disc one has created. However, a major part of this would be making sure that there are no banner problems, and no backup loader that exists right now loads banners. Also, homebrew discs no longer are useful on most Wiis.

well, half true, there is cIOSCrap, but...well... it's cIOSCRAP
November 03, 2009 08:30PM
cactusjack901
WikiFSX

well, half true, there is cIOSCrap, but...well... it's cIOSCRAP

and its illegal.

Anyway, for testing banners, you can use sad menu (its on the Wiibrew wiki, i came accross it a while ago). It loads the System Menu, replacing every single banner with a custom one from the SD card. Or something like that.

It's here: [wiibrew.org] read if you're interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 08:31PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login