How does Nintendo feel about HBC etc?
January 18, 2010 03:32PM
I wasn't sure weather to put this in "offtopic" or here, so move it if you wish...

Judging by the recent firmware upgrades by Nintendo, it is apparent they don't want HBC or any other custom software running on the Wii. However, has Nintendo ever made any official statement of hate against "soft mods", or have they ever taken any legal action against anyone for modding the Wii?

If HBC gets famous enough, income from the Wii Shop might suffer as there will be more and more developers making custom games that often can be downloaded for free, or at least, that's how Nintendo might see it.

However, since the person who owns the Wii has purchased it, hardware, software, and all, technically they should have all the rights to it, and Nintendo should have no right to "lock out" users who choose to modify their own personal copy of the Wii. Or?

Anyone have any more insight on this topic?

EDIT: Haha... I forgot to check the "I agree" button above and was redirected. xD
[www.cristgaming.com]
Re: How does Nintendo feel about HBC etc?
January 18, 2010 04:56PM
Well, HBC can lead to piracy by allowing unsigned code to run, meaning people can run WAD installers and ISO launchers. So obviously Ninty doesn't want that. But they have never actually taken legal action against someone with HBC. The only thing they've done is charge extra if a Wii needs repairs and is modded.
January 18, 2010 06:59PM
Or not repair it at all.
January 18, 2010 08:31PM
The things is that it is getting to the point where it's just about trivial to make it look like your Wii was not modified.
February 04, 2010 07:10PM
Have they ever actually deleted the hbc with an update?
February 04, 2010 08:23PM
Yes. 4.2 deleted HAXX (old HBC title ID). Team Twiizers released HackMii Installer 0.5 with a new HBC with the title ID "JODI" about 2 days later, defeating the main point of the 4.2 update. It also reinstalled DVDx and BootMii/boot2 which where also both wiped out by the update. BootMii/IOS was left alone for some reason. Some cIOS were removed by the update, but some remained. Workarounds for that existed within days too. All patched IOS (i.e. IOS with trucha bug) were overwritten, but a new TBR was released a couple of days later. The only protection of Nintendo's that stood the test of time from 4.2 was the region protection. Previous region free hacks in preloader and StartPatch were broken, as was region free from modchips. Stuff like Gecko OS still worked though. And recently a preloader and StartPatch patch was released to allow region free from System Menu as well. I realise you didn't ask about all this, but I decided to tell you anyway.
February 05, 2010 12:57AM
BootMii/IOS had a higher version number than the stub they tried to put in its slot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login