Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One iPad Topic To Rule Them All

Posted by nintendude 
Re: One iPad Topic To Rule Them All
January 30, 2010 09:58PM
I doubt it'll last as long as they say (generally no electronic device does), but it'll have to have decent battery life or it'll be absolutely useless.
April 03, 2010 09:35PM
Just in case you guys were wondering, the iPad was released in the US today...
[www.apple.com]
April 03, 2010 11:25PM
I said it before, and I'll say it again. I see NO use for the iPad for a power user, but a definite use for a regular person. However, I will hold final judgement until I use one in person
April 03, 2010 11:37PM
cactusjack901
I said it before, and I'll say it again. I see NO use for the iPad for a power user, but a definite use for a regular person. However, I will hold final judgement until I use one in person
Yes, I agree. It just seems to me like a giant iPod Touch with some unique apps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 11:37PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
April 04, 2010 01:24PM
WaxyPumpkin72
cactusjack901
Yes, I agree. It just seems to me like a giant iPod Touch with some unique apps.

Some very gimmicky apps. Anyone seen the Scrabble app which lets you use iPod Touch/iPhone as letter rack? It would cost a fortune to get a four player game going with that setup: 1 iPad, 4 iPod Touches/iPhones, and the app. But still kinda cool...
April 04, 2010 06:32PM
that would be kinda cool...
April 05, 2010 05:52AM
Well, I just figured out how to get iPad apps on my iPod Touch, so the iPad is pretty much useless for me now.
April 05, 2010 02:21PM
WaxyPumpkin72
Well, I just figured out how to get iPad apps on my iPod Touch, so the iPad is pretty much useless for me now.
Through a jailbreak?
April 05, 2010 06:32PM
TopGun96
WaxyPumpkin72
Through a jailbreak?
Yes. You need to be able to SSH into your device. I've tried one of the iPad apps so far (Tap Tap Radiation), and I got it to load up. The PNG dimension were all screwed up, so it crashed after a few minutes. Next I'm going to try iBooks. :P

Edit: Crap, iBooks crashes too. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 06:40PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
April 05, 2010 08:28PM
WaxyPumpkin72
TopGun96
WaxyPumpkin72
Through a jailbreak?
Yes. You need to be able to SSH into your device. I've tried one of the iPad apps so far (Tap Tap Radiation), and I got it to load up. The PNG dimension were all screwed up, so it crashed after a few minutes. Next I'm going to try iBooks. :P

That's interesting, even if it does cause crashes...is this widely known or did you discover it yourself?
April 06, 2010 12:33AM
SifJar
WaxyPumpkin72
TopGun96
WaxyPumpkin72
Through a jailbreak?

That's interesting, even if it does cause crashes...is this widely known or did you discover it yourself?
I figured it out myself...
April 06, 2010 05:25AM
WaxyPumpkin72
SifJar
WaxyPumpkin72
TopGun96
WaxyPumpkin72
Through a jailbreak?

I figured it out myself...

Hmm I figured SSHing was possible but doubted it would work due to the different platforms. But that doesn't mean I won't try. ;)
April 06, 2010 11:56PM
What do you have to SSH to your iPod touh to get this. My iPod is already jailbroken, and I know where to put the .app, but where does iTunes save the file on the computer
April 07, 2010 03:22AM
g_man
What do you have to SSH to your iPod touh to get this. My iPod is already jailbroken, and I know where to put the .app, but where does iTunes save the file on the computer
I'll just tell you what I did:

1.) Download OpenSSH from cydia on your iPod.
2.) Download an SFTP client on your computer, and connect to your iPod by typing in its IP address and signing in as "root" with the password "alpine."
3.) Download the iPad app in iTunes on your computer, and drag it to the desktop. Compress the app, and then decompress it. Open the folder, and there's another folder inside called "payload." Open that folder, and then inside there should be a package. In your SFTP client, go to the root, and then click on the shortcut to the "Applications" folder. Drag the package into the applications folder, and then wait for the upload to finish (this can take awhile).
4.) Once thats done, respring your iPod by going into MobileTerminal (you can get this in cydia), and typing in the command killall SpringBoard. The app should appear on your screen.
April 07, 2010 01:01PM
BTW, you should change your SSH password. Run the MobileTerminal app and use the psswd (i think thats the command) command to change it. Otherwise any randomer can login to your iphone/ipod and stop it working/steal personal info from it etc.
April 07, 2010 01:54PM
If they know your IP.
April 07, 2010 04:15PM
Which wouldn't be hard to get really...They could AFAIK just set up a fake website (or many) and trick you into visiting it, then they'd have your IP. And there are probably other ways too.
April 07, 2010 05:39PM
SifJar
BTW, you should change your SSH password. Run the MobileTerminal app and use the psswd (i think thats the command) command to change it. Otherwise any randomer can login to your iphone/ipod and stop it working/steal personal info from it etc.
I already have.
April 07, 2010 06:14PM
Yeah, I was pointing out to the other guy. n00bs blindly installing OpenSSH without realizing they should change their iPhone/iPod's password is a bad idea. Not that long ago I remember several people took over a bunch of iPhones because they hadn't changed the default password. They only put a harmless warning screen on, but they could have done much worse.
April 07, 2010 06:16PM
SifJar
Yeah, I was pointing out to the other guy. n00bs blindly installing OpenSSH without realizing they should change their iPhone/iPod's password is a bad idea. Not that long ago I remember several people took over a bunch of iPhones because they hadn't changed the default password. They only put a harmless warning screen on, but they could have done much worse.
Yeah, I know someone who jailbroke their iphone, and they didn't know how to change their password, but refused to let me change it for them. Their loss, I guess. :P

Edit: Has anyone else tried to get any iPad apps running on an iPod/iPhone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2010 06:17PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login