One iPad Topic To Rule Them All
January 27, 2010 10:56PM
As I'm sure many of you already know, Apple today announced a tablet device called the iPad. What are your thoughts on it? I personally think that it's an over-sized iPod Touch (or iPhone if you get one with 3G connectivity), even though I can see it as Apple's answer to a netbook. Personally, it's something that I wouldn't get, but I know others don't share the same view as me. How about you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 12:32AM by Arikado.
Re: One iPad Topic To Rule Them All
January 27, 2010 11:02PM
Yeah, I saw this on my mac earlier today. It looks kind of useless, IMHO.
January 27, 2010 11:16PM
I agree that it seems pointless and actually poorly designed. The interface is near identical to the iPhone interface, an interface well suited to its device. The problem is, this is a different device. Yes, its similar, only bigger, but that's the issue. It's bigger. The interface works well using thumbs on iPhone, but on iPad, its too big to be used with only thumbs. This means you either need to set it down/prop it up on something, or hold it with one hand and operate it with the other. Either could be potentially awkward.

I'd say it won't be that much of a success. I mean, it can't do as much as a laptop, and it isn't as portable as a phone. If someone has an iPhone, they probably won't get an iPad as well. If you have a laptop, there's little need for an iPad. If you have neither, you're more likely to buy one of them than an iPad. The only people I can really see purchasing the device are Apple fanboys who buy everything they release and upgrade their MacBook Pro and iPhone every year.

The main problem in my opinion is the interface. A better interface could make it into a far more desirable device. There was a mock-up youtube video I saw the other day which was pretty nice looking, but the actual interface doesn't seem suited to the device. It seems almost as if they were rushing and thought "Let's just stick the iPhone interface on it, no one will mind" instead of taking the time to create a unique and revolutionary interface.

Sorry for long post, just started typing and got into a bit of a rant =P
January 27, 2010 11:21PM
it's just a glamorous e-book reader.
January 28, 2010 12:32AM
iPod Touch is still greater since it is a)Portable and b)Cheaper and c)No different beyond size.
January 28, 2010 02:05AM
I thought it looked cool, but considering I'm typing this on my iPod touch I have no need for it. Though it would be nice as sort of a family iPod, think about it more than one person can watch it at a time, it has a bigger screen for web browsing, and it's big enough not to get lost easily.
January 28, 2010 02:33AM
Crisco
I thought it looked cool, but considering I'm typing this on my iPod touch I have no need for it. Though it would be nice as sort of a family iPod, think about it more than one person can watch it at a time, it has a bigger screen for web browsing, and it's big enough not to get lost easily.
I kind of agree with you there, but I'm not gonna spend $499 on something that isn't really necessary.
January 28, 2010 02:43AM
For 500 bucks you can a small notebook or one of those small laptops. 500 hundred is asking alot, but when you look at other apple stuff its all exspensive, if you ask me, its just the apple name.
January 28, 2010 02:54AM
Arikado Edit: Warning! Probably NSFW and not suitable for younger viewers!

roflol @

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 03:02AM by Arikado.
January 28, 2010 04:57AM
dirtrider73068
For 500 bucks you can a small notebook or one of those small laptops. 500 hundred is asking alot, but when you look at other apple stuff its all exspensive, if you ask me, its just the apple name.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. That's the one thing about Apple: they're expensive! I agreed with the iPad video where they said that the price was unbelievable! Being an owner of Apple products myself (I'm typing this on my 15" MacBook Pro), I must say that the price tag wasn't worth the product. I do feel, though, that the iPad could have one distinct advantage to it: being a fancy e-reader. I believe the other two major rivals out there in the e-reader market are Sony with their e-reader and Amazon with their Kindle. Past that, I think the iPhone and iPod Touch do a better job at what the iPad can do, minus the bigger screen size.
January 28, 2010 06:54PM
One of the really big issues is that Apple's over-bearing control of the software able to be run on the device. As with the iPod Touch and iPhone, apps have to be submitted to App Store, approved and have to follow certain rules and have limited control. They claim it is to protect users, by only allowing safe and appropriate apps to be run, but if you bought a netbook and found you could only run applications approved by the company who made it, you would be VERY annoyed. And Apple is pitching this as an alternative to a netbook, from my reading of websites and stuff. It is preposterous to me that a company should be able to control the software run on a device to such a degree.

Of course, there will no doubt be a jailbreak developed for it sooner or later, and then it will become a better device, but it shouldn't need hacking for basic things like multi-tasking. Again, if you bought a netbook and couldn't multi-task, you'd be annoyed. If its being pitched as a netbook alternative, it NEEDS to be able to play music and browse the web at the same time, while having a document editor open in the background and an IM app running as well, as it is not unusual for a computer to be running all those things at once.
January 28, 2010 11:50PM
I, like many others here, have no interest in this device whatsoever.
January 30, 2010 01:04AM
Didn't they litterly say it is the iPhail OS on a bigger screen? It really would make it so much better if it was running Mac OS X with touch capabilities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2010 01:05AM by hunterm.
January 30, 2010 02:00AM
It's iPhone OS. iPhone OS is actually IMO the best portable OS out there.
January 30, 2010 11:55AM
definetly not. way too locked down. android is better imo. (even though i dont own a device with either, and have never even used android =P)
January 30, 2010 05:57PM
Crisco
It's iPhone OS. iPhone OS is actually IMO the best portable OS out there.
But it really seems like they could find some way to fit Mac OS X on there, they could take out some of the useless features, and then they could just add touch capibilities to OS X and then they have a portable Mac :D.
January 30, 2010 06:07PM
iPhone OS is much less hardware intensive i.e. it will be faster than Mac OS X on cheaper (i.e. worse) hardware. This keeps the cost for Apple low, meaning the profit is high (as with most of Apple's products, it is ridiculously over-priced IMO)
January 30, 2010 06:14PM
Wonder how long it will take for a jailbreak to comeout for it.
January 30, 2010 08:32PM
I was wondering that myself, it will need a jailbreak to make it decent really (you'll need to jailbreak to get multi-tasking)
January 30, 2010 08:39PM
I wonder if the battery really lasts as long as it says it does. All the apple products that I have have never lasted as long as apple says it will.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login