Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What next for Bootmii?

Posted by cactusjack901 
What next for Bootmii?
March 10, 2010 08:25AM
Just some (potentially inane) thought here. The last update for Bootmii was released in October, which leads me to believe not much has been happening with its development. Which is fine by me, as it stands, Bootmii does all I need it to, back up/restore my NAND. My question is, where do we go from here? We have the MINI toolchain, and Bootmii is a platform for hacks, but, we don't really do much with it.

All we really have is SNEEK and MIKE. Both of them are great, in their own way, and they definitely take advantage of the fact that they can use ALL of the Wii's hardware. However, we still have just these 2 things, don't you think we would've done more with it by now.

Don't think of this so much as complaining, and more of asking "What do we do now?". Where do we go from here, what have we not yet done with this, that could revolutionize the Wii hacking scene, just as the Twilight Hack, Homebrew Channel, and Bootmii all did, respectively.

Your thoughts?
Re: What next for Bootmii?
March 10, 2010 12:52PM
I had an idea, though it only relied on Mini and not on BootMii...
March 11, 2010 01:09AM
I have been wondering the exact same thing. I mean, we've got the tools available to take advantage of every piece of the Wii's hardware, and it seems like it's just... there.

I would love to see some apps take advantage of the MINI toolchain. I don't care what it's purpose is -- any app that demonstrates just how much control we have over the Wii would be awesome. Personally, I'd love to try this, but my knowledge of programming is very limited.

Overall, this points to the question you, I, and they many people involved in the Wii scene are wanting to answer: "Where do we go from here?"
March 11, 2010 01:19AM
Bootmii, HBC, and DVDx, are nearly perfect. There is not much to do about them, and TT is working on the DSi currently, so I wouldn't expect a new update for a while. As for making even more use of the Wii, we have done just about everything!
March 11, 2010 01:47AM
gameboy13
TT is working on the DSi currently, so I wouldn't expect a new update for a while.
Yeah, thats kind of what I was thinking, too.
April 11, 2010 08:24PM
Reason why BootMii-based apps aren't popular: it's easier to stick with "teh IOS haxxes".

Fairly simple, right? There's already a plethora of tools and stuff dealing with the IOS way of doing things with an Wii. Most coders aren't interested in rewriting tons of code already avaiable for Wii just for the sake of low-level access to the console hardware (which you can now achieve since last DVDX update, anyway).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login