Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please help with strange devkitPro issue

Posted by SifJar 
Please help with strange devkitPro issue
April 27, 2010 10:36PM
I have been trying to compile the NDS Hello World example that comes with devkitPro, to test my installation, but I keep getting the following error:

C:\devkitPro\examples\nds\hello_world>make
makefile:9: /c/devkitPro/devkitARM/ds_rules: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/c/devkitPro/devkitARM/ds_rules'.  Stop.

C:\devkitPro\examples\nds\hello_world>

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting my computer, checked my System Variables, checked the file definitely DOES exist (it does)...

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
Re: Please help with strange devkitPro issue
April 28, 2010 05:18AM
Do you have a proper MAKEFILE in that directory? If not copy the MAKEFILE from one of the other examples.
April 28, 2010 06:59PM
Yeah, the MAKEFILE is there. Hence the error complaining that a file required BY the MAKEFILE is missing (even though it isn't)
April 29, 2010 01:00AM
Very strange. I had no problems compiling it. How many times have you reinstalled it? Maybe it got wrong all of the times, but that is unlikely...

Also, I don't know exactly how the MAKEFILEs work but since this line:
include $(DEVKITARM)/ds_rules
is an include thingy, what happens if you just copy the conents of ds_rules and paste it in place of that line?
April 30, 2010 08:09PM
Haven't tried that, but I did try removing the $(DEVKITARM), and copying ds_rules to the same folder as the makefile, and base_rules as well (needed by ds_rules), but it still gave errors.

I have tried reinstalling several times. I remember this happened before, and then it started working again, because for a while I could compile stuff. But now its stopped working again. I can't work out what I did before to get it working again...
April 30, 2010 09:42PM
What OS are you compiling under?
April 30, 2010 09:54PM
Windows XP, SP2.

I have had problems before with things not working right (I can't get anything to compile using Cygwin e.g. Benzin), I think there may be some problem with the OS...I am planning on upgrading to SP3 sometime soon to see if that helps at all.
May 01, 2010 12:07AM
Try checking your DEVKITARM enviromental variable. It looks like it's current value is /c/devkitPro/devkitARM/ which wouldn't work. Make sure that the variable starts with C:\devkitPro\....
May 01, 2010 12:20AM
I already tried changing it to that IIRC, but I'll try again.

EDIT: OK, it worked that time. I am 99% sure I tried that before and it didn't work. Although, now I think of it, I may not have closed the command window before re-trying. Still, I don't see why the devkitPro updater installs it with the wrong Environment Variables, or why this isn't an issue for anyone else...

Thanks anyway. I feel a bit stupid now...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 12:23AM by SifJar.
May 01, 2010 10:07PM
OK, it was working fine, but now its not again.

Its not the same issue, there seems to be something up with "make":

C:\Homebrew\patchmii-core>make
make: make: Command not found
make: *** [build] Error 127

Now, the computer is finding make, but make is giving an error. And if I try "make clean":

C:\Homebrew\patchmii-core>make clean
make: echo: Command not found
make: *** [clean] Error 127

It seems to me that "make" cannot execute commands in the MAKEFILE for some reason. Typing "echo" followed by some text works fine, so there is not an issue with Path or anything I don't think. I think the issue is with make.exe. I have tried reinstalling both msys and the whole devkitPro, but to no effect. Any ideas?
May 03, 2010 04:30AM
Regular make still works right. Try reinstalling devkitpro one more time. After you delete it, delete any enviromental variables that currently point to any devkitpro files. Also delete the part of your path pointing to msys. Reinstall it again, and make sure to place it in the root of a partition like C: or D: (This isn't required, but it will get rid of the chance for a bad path). Now, go to the examples folder in devkitpro and run make on the hello world example from the command line(I guess this isn't neccesary to do it through the command line again, but it doesn't hurt. Also make sure that you open the command line AFTER devkitpro is completely installed).
If you get this error again:
then try creating a sample makefile with just one echo command inside, hopefully this will work.
May 03, 2010 02:09PM
g_man
Regular make still works right. Try reinstalling devkitpro one more time. After you delete it, delete any enviromental variables that currently point to any devkitpro files. Also delete the part of your path pointing to msys. Reinstall it again, and make sure to place it in the root of a partition like C: or D: (This isn't required, but it will get rid of the chance for a bad path). Now, go to the examples folder in devkitpro and run make on the hello world example from the command line(I guess this isn't neccesary to do it through the command line again, but it doesn't hurt. Also make sure that you open the command line AFTER devkitpro is completely installed).
then try creating a sample makefile with just one echo command inside, hopefully this will work.

I'll try this and report back, thanks for your continued help.
May 08, 2010 01:46AM
SifJar
g_man

I'll try this and report back, thanks for your continued help.
Did it work?
May 08, 2010 08:55AM
i'm sorry i haven't had time to try yet. i'm currently revising for some important exams, so don't have free time. however, i should get a chance to try it today.
May 08, 2010 08:05PM
Yes, that worked. Thanks. Weird thing is though, uninstalling got rid of the environment variables, which I assume it did the last time too. So I see no difference between last time and this time. Anyway, its working now, thanks for all your help.
May 08, 2010 08:06PM
I hate when that stuff happens. With most things computers in genreral unistalling and reinstalling or restarting your computer usually helps the problem. It also never hurts to pray that it will work. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login