Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System Menu 4.3 has been released.

Posted by Sonicdude41 
System Menu 4.3 has been released.
June 22, 2010 05:59AM
Re: System Menu 4.3 has been released.
June 22, 2010 10:31AM
Took them long enough, guess they patched every exploit that bannerbomb and the hackmii installer use, in the system menu and every IOS.
June 22, 2010 10:40AM
Yeah, as I've been saying, it looks nasty. Now it seems to spit out Error 004 when attempting to load homebrew. :S

Let's hope TT can overcome this one.
June 22, 2010 11:20AM
Sonicdude41
Yeah, as I've been saying, it looks nasty. Now it seems to spit out Error 004 when attempting to load homebrew. :S

Let's hope TT can overcome this one.

Only bannerbomb from what I've read. Indiana Pwns and Smash Stack apparently both still work (fail Ninty), and BootMii/boot2 stays and works fine. If you know what you're doing you could probably get HBC working on 4.3 (but not through any method supported here...). But it'd take a bit of work to get it done probably.

I wonder if the StartPatch patch to stop System Menu deleting HBC and DVDx still works (I think it should once it gets ported, because I think it stops the deletion, instead of editing the list of title IDs to delete or something like that.
June 22, 2010 03:35PM
You could do a "quick fix" right now by just changing the title ID of the HBC and then rereleasing it. Unless it verifies each title it launches, in which case we have to do trickier things.
June 22, 2010 04:03PM
WikiFSX
You could do a "quick fix" right now by just changing the title ID of the HBC and then rereleasing it. Unless it verifies each title it launches, in which case we have to do trickier things.

It doesn't. People at GBAFail have tested it with forwarders and edited versions of HBC. Work fine.
June 22, 2010 07:15PM
How hard would it be to make an app that just modifies the title id of the HBC then. That way people can keep the HBC when they update and wont have to go back through the Hackmii installer, which doesn't work right now anyways. Isn't the title id just a string in a file. That shouldn't be that hard to modify.
June 22, 2010 07:22PM
g_man
How hard would it be to make an app that just modifies the title id of the HBC then. That way people can keep the HBC when they update and wont have to go back through the Hackmii installer, which doesn't work right now anyways. Isn't the title id just a string in a file. That shouldn't be that hard to modify.

title ID once channel is installed is a string in TMD and also the name of folder channel is stored in. I think that's all. So yeah, it may be possible to rename the folder and modify TMD...But anyway, there's no reason to update to 4.3, so its irrelevant.
June 22, 2010 07:47PM
yah, but it could be used as sort of a backup incase you have a sibling that updates it for you. I see the title id in both the tmd file, and the folder name. I will check if it's in the other files in the folder, but I don't think so. How risky would it be to try and change these? I would make a bootmii backup before.
Also, if I wanted bootmii to still boot the HBC, I would have to search the file for the string JODI, and change it to the new id, right?
June 22, 2010 07:50PM
I don't know if it could be modified as you wish I'm afraid. But you could make a DOL that loads your new HBC title ID, inject that DOL in a channel, and install the new channel to JODI slot, so BootMii would load it, and through it load HBC.
June 22, 2010 08:09PM
Yeah, i just tried to change the only instance of JODI in the arm file, and no luck.
June 23, 2010 06:44AM
June 23, 2010 07:50AM
WaxyPumpkin72
What a bunch a fail.

Please explain the fail. :P
June 23, 2010 12:30PM
The fail is: They only blocked one exploit and ignored two others, TT (and others) still have working IOS exploits for installing fake signed content, and Ninty still only check for title IDs, so simply changing the title IDs for HackMii Installer's products will allow them to work again.

And that's pretty much all they've done, people will have homebrew (and piracy :( ) on 4.3 in no time.
June 23, 2010 01:45PM
SifJar
And that's pretty much all they've done, people will have homebrew (and piracy :( ) on 4.3 in no time.
Silly question, if we move to prevent the piracy, how would Nintendo react? Weren't the exploits only known by TT? Or maybe the hackmii installer could fix the known exploits that pirates use and use the unknowns to install HBC?
June 23, 2010 02:58PM
g_man
Yeah, i just tried to change the only instance of JODI in the arm file, and no luck.

You'd have to do it in the ppc file, I think.

I remember some people were successfully able to do that a while back.
June 23, 2010 05:14PM
Daid
SifJar
Silly question, if we move to prevent the piracy, how would Nintendo react? Weren't the exploits only known by TT? Or maybe the hackmii installer could fix the known exploits that pirates use and use the unknowns to install HBC?

I doubt they'd care. TT have tried contacting Ninty about bugs which could be used for piracy before, and Ninty basically ignored them. To them, all homebrew is bad, and they don't differentiate between homebrew piracy sadly.
June 23, 2010 05:18PM
Daid
SifJar

Since software based piracy requires the trucha bug (at least the pirates have yet to accomplish it without the trucha bug) and TBR can no longer downgrade IOS 15, pirates will probably not be able to trucha patch IOSes without Bootmii, at least for awhile. If Team Twiizers does not update Bootmii or they find a way to prevent its use for piracy, it will probably take some time before software based piracy is possible on 4.3.

Still, this would probably not cause Nintendo to stop their ineffective anti homebrew attempts. After all, they certainly don't like emulators, region free hacks, or cheaters in online games.
June 23, 2010 05:30PM
jbc007
Daid
SifJar

Since software based piracy requires the trucha bug (at least the pirates have yet to accomplish it without the trucha bug) and TBR can no longer downgrade IOS 15, pirates will probably not be able to trucha patch IOSes without Bootmii, at least for awhile. If Team Twiizers does not update Bootmii or they find a way to prevent its use for piracy, it will probably take some time before software based piracy is possible on 4.3.

Still, this would probably not cause Nintendo to stop their ineffective anti homebrew attempts. After all, they certainly don't like emulators, region free hacks, or cheaters in online games.

Provided DVDx can be installed on 4.3, it can be used to install fake signed content (e.g. a patched IOS). It has not been used this way before, but it is possible.
June 23, 2010 06:37PM
SifJar
Provided DVDx can be installed on 4.3, it can be used to install fake signed content (e.g. a patched IOS). It has not been used this way before, but it is possible.

I did not know that. How would this work? Marcan said that from October 23, 2008 until Bootmii was released, piracy was not possible using Team Twiizers applications, but they did update their DVDx installer during that period. Of course, at that time, pirates had another way of installing fakesigned content.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login