Partions, And Multi-Boot (SOLVED)
June 25, 2010 08:44AM
Hey guys! I want to install anthor copy Of Windows on my Computer. I know how to partion a Disk using the Disk Manager, but it wont allow me to shrink my C: Partion small enough to make anothr partion big enough for windows. I an only shrink it 908MB. Anyone got any tips on how to make it so I can shrink it a little more? (Like 20GB) Ive tried dissabling Page Files, but in vain. Any help!?!?

Thanks!

PS Running Windows Vista HP 32-bit

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 07:40PM by NotAWiiHacker.
Re: Partions, And Multi-Boot
June 25, 2010 09:45AM
Why not grab an Ubuntu ISO from the official website and use GParted to manage partitions? It's served me well, and I'm sure it will do the same for you. :)

Either this, or download the GParted LiveCD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 09:45AM by Sonicdude41.
June 25, 2010 03:28PM
Delete large files in your primary partition?
June 25, 2010 03:46PM
How full is your Windows partition?
June 25, 2010 07:27PM
A Better method I've found for running multiple OS's is Sun VBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). I use it all the time, I run linux from within Windows. Far easier than partitioning.

Also when you're done with the OS all you have to do it delete the file image and you've got the space back.
June 25, 2010 08:06PM
Trust me guys, I wouldnt Make a mistake such as trying to shrink a full partion... Out of my C Drvie which totals to 361GB I have 189GB free (with 171GB used) It used to have an Old back up of a computer on it, But I erased the back up. Im only lookinbg to skrink it 20GB or so. IVe alrdy shrunk it 941 MB, but it wont go any further. I want to KEEP the files on my C drive. I only have one Hardrive which has C, D (Recovery, no plans to change it), and Z Which is tht partion i made out of the 941MB I shrunk the C drive.

PS Im looking to install anthor version of WINDOWS no linux, or mac.

Trying Ubuntu (from what Im reading, It looks nice), Will update if it worked or not later

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 08:19PM by NotAWiiHacker.
June 25, 2010 08:58PM
Well, I'm on Ubuntu, G parted wont Let me do anything to my C drive....
June 28, 2010 06:40AM
Thanks guys. But nothing has worked. I need more ideas, please keep them coming,
Unbuntu has NOT worked...
June 28, 2010 12:18PM
[gparted.sourceforge.net] the gparted liveCD. If this cannot resize it then you simply don't have free the diskspace on your main partition.

But, if it's a desktop machine, I just recommend to put in an extra harddisk. Much easier, and not that expensive.
June 29, 2010 02:23PM
scanff
A Better method I've found for running multiple OS's is Sun VBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). I use it all the time, I run linux from within Windows. Far easier than partitioning.

Also when you're done with the OS all you have to do it delete the file image and you've got the space back.

Except that you take performance hits, and often will have accelerated 3D issues. I shy away from virtualization when I'm not experimenting or running something like Windows 3.11.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2010 02:24PM by WikiFSX.
June 29, 2010 07:40PM
Okay guys, GParted LiveCD didnt work..Completely...... Apon accuay geting LIve CD to run (Which took a day) I opened GParted to be told that my disk had errors on it, Preventing it from being shrunk any more. So I got on Windows and ran DskChk and what do you know, I had errors, So after it going trough my disk for about.... 5 Hours, It fixed it. Windows came up and I decided to see what Disk Management will say about it. After fixing the errors, I was allowed ot srink my C Partion by over half. I only did 20GB.

THANKS TO YOU WHO SUGGEST GPARTED LIVE CD, AS WELL AS GPARTED!!!! YOU GUYS SOLVED MY PROBLEM!

PS I'm liking Unbuntu, I think Im gona keep it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login