Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any help to my OS Project?

Posted by awiiprogrammer 
Any help to my OS Project?
October 15, 2010 10:49PM
I am currently working on my own OS. I call it DEVKITWII, it is an operating system for Wii Development and Basically any form of development. I was just working on it when I realised that I couldn't do it on my own, so I wanted to ask if anybody was willing to help? I have just started making the building part on it... Anybody want to help?

DEVKITWII, A WII DEVELOPMENT OPERATING SYSTEM.
Re: Any help to my OS Project?
October 15, 2010 11:41PM
Why not just use Wii linux?
October 16, 2010 02:33AM
are you calthephenom?
October 16, 2010 04:20AM
tueidj
are you calthephenom?
haha my first thought too
October 16, 2010 12:46PM
I'm not calthephenom whatever that is. I mean an operating system for the computer, that has everything to make wii games and all sorts of development.
October 16, 2010 03:44PM
awiiprogrammer
I'm not calthephenom whatever that is. I mean an operating system for the computer, that has everything to make wii games and all sorts of development.
I don't know if you've heard but there's this brand new technology called Windows, Linux, and Mac which do this.
October 16, 2010 03:51PM
Arikado
awiiprogrammer
I don't know if you've heard but there's this brand new technology called Windows, Linux, and Mac which do this.

I don't know if you've heard but Windows, Linux and Mac all have to be configured to run homebrew, I mean an operating system that is already configured.
October 16, 2010 06:04PM
awiiprogrammer
Arikado
awiiprogrammer

I don't know if you've heard but Windows, Linux and Mac all have to be configured to run homebrew, I mean an operating system that is already configured.

What is so difficult of configuring Windows, Linux or Mac for developing homebrew?? Why would creating your OS be any easier? Do you know anything about low level programming (i.e. ASM) in order to program direct access to your computer hardware (processor, memory and interrupts and ports) which is the base of any true OS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 06:05PM by Axel.
October 16, 2010 10:58PM
awiiprogrammer
Your OS has to be configured to run homebrew? That must suck, maybe that's why you can't install devkitpro?[/sarcasm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 10:59PM by bg4545.
October 17, 2010 12:21AM
You cant even do basic scripts, there is no starting sarcasm tag. The os isnt just for it having not need to configure, it also has added features. FYI I do know assembler.
October 17, 2010 12:28AM
You do realise that making an operating system isn't easy, it requires a lot of hard work. Also, even if you do manage it, no one is probably going to use it.

My best advice to you is to forget this idea and go think of something else.
October 17, 2010 12:54AM
awiiprogrammer
You cant even do basic scripts, there is no starting sarcasm tag.
I know that, it's not even a real tag. It's a joke.
October 17, 2010 04:48AM
why would you make an OS for wii development? who is going to install an entire OS just to do wii development when you can do it just fine on any current OS? It's compiling c and c++ files which every OS has a pretty simple interface to do that... or programs that make it CAKE to do.

I just don't think it will be used by anyone and your time could be better spent doing other stuff. Didn't you say you wanted to learn C and C++? You've got a couple threads going about using header files and stuff... i don't think making an entire OS should be near the top of your list.
October 17, 2010 08:29PM
On top of that, if a user can't install devkitpro, there is NO way they will want to mess with partitions, and installing a second OS. And just to reiterate, developing an OS is the hardest thing you can in the programming world. You need years of experience in both C and ASM to even think about developing. And then it will take a year or two to get it stable enough for somebody to trust it to run on their computer.
For winodws there isn't even that much to set up, you just run an installer, and the whole thing is installed. You time would be best spent developing an installer for linux, or mac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login