Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Happened To FailOverFlow ??

Posted by ploggy 
What Happened To FailOverFlow ??
June 10, 2011 12:56AM
Where have they gone.?
Are things still being developed behind the scenes.?

I hear $ony are getting a bit heavy and if that's the case I completely understand. :)
Are you guys going to make an appearance at the CCC this year?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2011 12:58AM by ploggy.
Re: What Happened To FailOverFlow ??
June 10, 2011 10:23AM
Sony filed a lawsuit against them. So they stopped working publicly on anything and took down all they had released. By then geohot had released even more stuff (he was a more major part of the lawsuit) and now its all mirrored all over the internet. But there probably won't be any more releases from fail0verflow or geohot for the PS3, or quite possibly any Sony device.
June 10, 2011 03:27PM
That's a shame, 1 of my high points of the year was watching Bushing and crew at the CCC lol.
June 12, 2011 04:13AM
fail0verflow hasn't gone anywhere. Their goals (basically running Linux on every hardware revision of every PS3) have been met though. Since fail0verflow is just the name they go under as a group it's likely that they may make more releases as a group together one day (but perhaps not for the PS3). As individuals, they've all been very busy on various things from creating an open source USB traffic analyzer to hacking the 3DS and more.

Also, since SONY dropped the lawsuit on geohot I don't believe they're pursuing fail0verflow anymore.
June 14, 2011 01:32PM
Arikado
fail0verflow hasn't gone anywhere. Their goals (basically running Linux on every hardware revision of every PS3) have been met though. Since fail0verflow is just the name they go under as a group it's likely that they may make more releases as a group together one day (but perhaps not for the PS3). As individuals, they've all been very busy on various things from creating an open source USB traffic analyzer to hacking the 3DS and more.

Also, since SONY dropped the lawsuit on geohot I don't believe they're pursuing fail0verflow anymore.

I'm glad they're still knocking about they're REALLY good at what they do, but the PS3 scene could really use some of there magic right now.
Seems as if certain people (math) are teasing the rest of the scene (showing stuff and not releasing) :P
But I can see where Failoverflow are coming from though considering the stance $ony have been taking recently.

On an unrelated note, hows things on the DesmumeWii front? Are you still planning on returning to it in the Summer? :)
June 19, 2011 12:03AM
It was my understanding that you can run Linux on every firmware revision on every hardware revision of the PS3 ( [wiki.gitbrew.org] ) so I'm not sure what fail0verflow would even be needed for at this point? I wouldn't take math's teasing too seriously. Most of that stuff isn't discovered by him and simply won't be released by the people who made it. The only reason math even knows about most of it is because he hangs out in our private discussion group where people unveil stuff they've found. To be honest, it's actually "not cool" that he talks about most of the stuff he keeps overhearing publicly. Having said that though, I do like math and he's a cool, smart guy to talk to. He just enjoys the scene a little too much :-)

Offtopic, we *just* resumed work on it about a week ago: [code.google.com] To be perfectly honest, there needs to be significant advancement with performance on the PC version before you'll find a truly fullspeed DS emulator on the Wii. Having said that, we're going to push this as far as we possibly can.
June 21, 2011 02:50AM
That's good to know about DesmumeWii, I have to admit I check the Google Code page almost daily for updates.

and the Math thing, he just comes across as a very arrogant person with his carrot dangling and the I AM GOD attitude and if it's true that most of the stuff he's "dangling" isn't even his, then that just proves it.

You see all these people on psx-scene holding out hope that he may release some sort of hint about how to go about finding the newest PS3 keys.
it just doesn't seem right. :P

Again thank's for continuing working on DesmumeWii, any FPS you can dig out of it would be awesome :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 03:08AM by ploggy.
June 21, 2011 06:25AM
To Math's credit he used to contribute writing code for the PSP M33 custom firmware and he did find some interesting leads in the PS3's hypervisor code (particularly lv1if I remember correctly). There aren't very many people who can do this. However, as far as I'm aware, he's never found a useful bug. This doesn't make him a liar or incompetent; when other people share their findings he understands what he's looking at and he can usually make intelligent conversation regarding it. The problem is that he talks about things he's seen from other people as if it were his own within the public domain. I don't think he does this entirely intentionally to piss anyone off though (granted, I don't really read anything he writes though), but it's really annoying to both users and the people who find these bugs I believe.

But, let me assuage with you this: These "secret" bugs are really just alternatives to existing bugs which as far as I'm aware offer no (legal) advantages over the existing bugs. If there was a need for them to be publicly exposed (like if existing bugs were fixed), they would be exposed. And after the PS3 is replaced by the inevitable PS4, I'm sure any leftover "secret" bugs will also be exposed.

Anyways, these are just my two cents based on my observations of private conversations for over a year now. I may have missed some finer points in my generalization though if I did I believe I'm at least pretty close to giving you the honest truth here.

And thanks for the comments on DeSmuMEWii, we're all doing our best :) In some ways we may even want it to succeed more than even you do! :)
June 21, 2011 10:15AM
I have much respect for you Arikado but I have to say NO ONE! (not even you) wants to see this project succeed more than me. lol trust me :)
I must have scoured the net countless times looking for hints or tips on anyone porting or creating a DS Emulator on any Console.
There was talk of one on the 360 for a while, but it seemed to fizzle out after the first release and yours has made the most progress by far.
It seems I'm more of a retro-head at heart and the DS has some good old school sequels (Yoshi's Island DS, Mario64 DS/and others)

and about the PS3, my fear is that when I get a PS3 (hopefully soon) is that all these current ways to enable homebrew like having a certain firmware revision wont be around any more, I've already heard stories of PS3's in shops having newer firmwares so the current hacks won't work.
I suppose you could always go the second-hand route but the Consoles of this generation aren't the most sturdy and the fact that it's "hackable" would bump the price right up.

I do understand the need for secrecy when it comes to exploits on the PS3 but when it comes to new firmwares is there actually a "way in"?

That's why I love the Wii, no matter when you buy one there's always a method to enable homebrew.
TBH, that's why I was kinda hoping that Twizzers/Failoverflow were still knocking about, they did a brilliant job with the Wii. (damn Sony) lol

Nice 1 Arikado....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 10:34AM by ploggy.
November 22, 2011 12:55PM
Really nice discussion going on
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login