Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Speak Mic on Mac

Posted by TopGun96 
Wii Speak Mic on Mac
August 18, 2012 12:23AM
As you could probably infer from the title, I am trying to get the wii speak microphone to connect to my mac book pro (2006) and it won't recognize it at all. Any suggestions? Thanks
Re: Wii Speak Mic on Mac
August 18, 2012 12:34AM
It's not a regular USB mic, so it won't work without a custom driver, which sadly doesn't exist. I guess no one ever bothered because proper USB mics are pretty cheap anyway. Sorry about that.

I did once see that it was possible to re-wire the mic to work as a regular mic (i.e. 3.5mm jack), but that meant it no longer worked as a wii speak mic, which sort of defeats the point IMO.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help than that.
August 18, 2012 10:31AM
The issue with writing a wii speak driver is that the device requires the host (i.e. the wii or whatever PC you have it plugged in to) to upload a firmware binary blob before it can be used. This blob is included separately inside every game that uses the wii speak but ripping it out and distributing it would be violating Nintendo's copyright so someone would have to reverse engineer the firmware then write their own replacement. Not an easy task since nobody even knows what sort of code it is.
August 18, 2012 09:40PM
Ah yes, I remember you mentioning that before, I had forgotten that. I guess that explains why no one has done anything about it then.
August 19, 2012 07:23PM
Alright thanks! That at least tells me why it can't be done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login