Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't play PAL Big Brain Academy on US Wii

Posted by waynechch 
Can't play PAL Big Brain Academy on US Wii
March 23, 2009 09:13AM
I unlocked my US Wii (3.4u) using the Twilight Hack and have been able to play PAL Guitar Hero III (NZ and Australia) no problem but I just bought Big Brain Academy and when I try to load it through Gecko OS Loader it just goes to a green screen and hangs.... I have searched for tips without success... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2009 09:14AM by waynechch.
Re: Can't play PAL Big Brain Academy on US Wii
March 24, 2009 01:33AM
hmmmmmm.....unlocked? funny wording. I've only seen unlocking the wii associated with homebreware, a complete scam. Now, about your problem, are you suuuuure it's PAL? i don't think it matters what you load with Gecko OS, but it's a good place to start. I'd try running it in the disc channel too. if it works, then i shit golden bricks.
March 24, 2009 09:11AM
Yes I did "unlock" it using the Homebrew software... I bought it in the US then when I returned to NZ I was gutted to find that it would not play games bought in NZ. I searched the web and Homebrew was the first thing I found - like I said Gecko plays NZ bought PAL Guitar Hero.

Big Brain is definitely also a PAL game - bought in NZ and says for sale in Aust. and NZ only on the back...

When you say "Disc Channel" do you mean the top left "icon" on the Wii home screen - it says unable to read disc.

I tried playing the game on Gecko Region free and it runs but it scrolls up the screen - I am guessing it is getting PAL input and needs to be set to NTSC - I also have an NTSC TV from the US...

I just tried setting the force NTSC and Region free options on Gecko OS and it still goes to a bright green screen and hangs...
March 24, 2009 03:19PM
homebrew and homebreware are different, actually they are the same, but one is copying the stuff from the other and then selling it illegally!

If you were scammed into buying homebreware, please let an admin or moderator know. Or post on hackmii.com
March 24, 2009 08:45PM
uhhhhhh...that's what i was getting to, because "unlocking" is just a scam for peeps who don't know any better. Hell, when i started, i was almost tricked into buying it. So would the homebrew software you used be homebreware? Anyway, maybe try region free but not forced NTSC? or........um, actually, that's all i got for now cuz i...WAIT!!!! Do you have a PAL TV you could try it on? Maybe that would work.... if you don't have a PAL TV, then visit man's best friend eBay!!! sorry..... okayyyyyy. isn't there something like PAL60 on gecko os too? try that but not forced ntsc and see if that works. Best of luck dood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 08:48PM by z400100500.
March 25, 2009 09:46AM
I need to set it "Force NTSC" for my NTSC TV (this is the setting I use to play the NZ Guitar Hero game) - of course I could buy a PAL TV but that kind of defeats the purpose and then I would the same issues with the US games I have...

Perhaps I need a later version of Gecko because my Wii is 3.4u... Are they still developing Gecko? (I read some posts about the guy "Nuke" no longer doing it...

I was actually really pleased with my "unlocking" when I managed to get the Guitar Hero going - it proves the Wii and Gecko can do it - why do they not just have all those features / options available out of the box....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2009 06:35PM by waynechch.
March 25, 2009 09:40PM
eh, ninty is a b**** nowadays. Anyways, im asking did you buy homebreware to "unlock" the wii or not? But back to the topic, i'm pretty sure the version on the Homwbrew browser is the latest version. Likewise, maybe an older version would work. Here's the link: [www.wiibrew.org] read it, and there's a download section at the bottom. Best of luck, dood.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.