Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Check my Wii hack plan out for newb mistakes plz?

Posted by elstado 
Check my Wii hack plan out for newb mistakes plz?
August 04, 2009 09:52AM
Hi all,

Another HBC/WiiBrew noob here. :)

I have been reading up on homebrew and softmodding my Wii for a couple of months, but up until only recently I had no luck (previously tried the Twilight Hack a while back but it wouldn't load properly so I gave up for a while).

I am currently using a Wii with the following specs:
-Firmware 3.4e.
-S/N LAH11 (I heard that this S/N can be problematic when "downgrading" cIOS or something- Comments?).

Using the following hardware/peripherals:
-2x Official Wiimotes.
-1x 2GB Sandisk SD card.
-NO Gamecube controller or other accessories.

I have recently installed:
-Home Brew Channel (+HB Browser etc within it, stored on the SD card atm).
-DVDx only.

What I want to get out of my Wii:
-Full HBC functionality (I wouldn't have half a clue of the cool stuff that HBC offers, give me some suggestions!).
-Upgrade my Wii firmware to the latest (4.1?). (Is this worth it? I heard that it gives extra functions, SDHC support etc, and there are no technical/brick reasons to not install it- Comments?)
-Make it as brick-proof and recoverable as possible (I have a newer Wii that only allows BootMii as an IOS... what else can I do- Comments?).
-Backup my games onto an 3.5" 40GB external HDD (Maxtor OneTouch III caddy with Seagate 7200.9 HDD).

NOTE: I am not interested in cheating apps, playing priated games, other region games etc. I am not sure if discussion of making backups of games I already own as a hardcopy is permitted or not, as it is apparently legal to do so in Australia as long as I own a copy of the original. If it is not permitted please disregard this and mods feel free to edit my post. I don't want to be banned.

Here's my plan, it is pretty much a synthesised break-down of the many hundreds of conflicting guides found on the www, particularly this one of which another person with 3.4e has used and it has worked fine for them, acknowledging that I have already installed the latest HBC and DVDx using the Bannerbomb exploit and the BootMii installer package (Note: BootMii is NOT currently installed):

-Run SignCheck to check the system and if it has a cIOS already installed. I know it shouldn't, as I should know if there was, but I just want to check for peace of mind.

-Backup currently installed HBC applications (HB Browser, emulators etc). To my PC. Format SD card as FAT32.

-Update the Wii firmware to 4.1 from 3.4e (using the normal Nintendo servers? What is a better way? WiiSCU?)

-Install BootMii as an IOS, from SD card, via BootMii/HackMii installer, via BannerBomb exploit.

-Create a NAND backup onto a shared SD card using BootMii.

-Install Preloader, so I can launch HBC and then run BootMii to restore my NAND backup in the (hopefully unlikely) case it bricks.

-Run Trucha Bug Restorer.

-Run Trucha Bug Restorer from homebrew channel.

-Open wad manager in homebrew channel

-Now install NEOR6.wad, IOS60.wad, and exit.

-Open Trucha Bug Restorer from homebrew channel.

-Open Homebrew Channel and run the cIOSrev14 installer (I have reports that v14 is buggy, and so is 13b.. should I use 13a or something else- Comments?)

-Wipe SD card again and format as FAT32.

-Install Configurable USB Loader which will apparently detect most external storage devices, format them into WBFS, and provide an easy to use GUI to allow game backups.

-Restore the rest of the originally backed up HBC apps to the SD card.

-????

-Profit!

And that's it for now. All going well I should have a fully functional, softmodded Wii that has 10x more functionality than a vanilla, is running the latest software, and is brick resistant and recoverable in case of bricking.

If anyone can please comment on the order, programs, etc etc that would be greatly appreciated.

Once again I don't believe that I have broken forum rules in regards to mentioning backups, but if I have mods please dont hesitate to edit this post and remove the offending content.

El Stado

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 02:48PM by Arikado.
Re: Check my Wii hack plan out for newb mistakes plz?
August 04, 2009 11:11AM
Loads of stuff wrong there:

BootMii as IOS cannot restore NAND dumps, and can't be accessed in a brick.
Backup loaders aren't supported here.
Those WADs sound like they have been downloaded from the internet, not using NUSD, making them illegal.
cIOS is not supported.
Re: Check my Wii hack plan out for newb mistakes plz?
August 04, 2009 12:10PM

BootMii as IOS cannot restore NAND dumps, and can't be accessed in a brick.

Not at all? Not even with Preloader installed?

Backup loaders aren't supported here.

Ok.

Those WADs sound like they have been downloaded from the internet, not using NUSD, making them illegal.

Illegal to forum rules or illegal breaking real laws?

Sorry I don't fully understand all this, just trying to get some clarification.

The wad files are from that guide that I linked. This one.[/url] I know someone who has a Wii with the same SN and FW as I do and they followed that guide and it worked.

cIOS is not supported.

In these forums or at all? How so?

Thanks for the replies so far. Should I remove/censor the backup stuff in OP or leave it as is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 02:47PM by Arikado.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.