Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Couple questions regarding Gamecube Homebrew Launcher

Posted by nightwishfan1 
Couple questions regarding Gamecube Homebrew Launcher
October 27, 2009 02:15PM
Ok I have a couple questions about the GC Homebrew Launcher, and hopefully someone will be able to answer and help. Anyways I been looking at some GC homebrew that hasnt had any proper ports to Wii yet, and I figured if no one will port them, then I'll find other ways of running them. In comes to play GC Homebrew Launcher. I read the page here on wiibrew for it and it notes the following pre-requisites:

1.Copy RVL-mios-v5.wad.out.wad into root of front SD card (This file is not part of the archive and is located on Super Mario Galaxy Disc (EU), Mario Kart (EU), Super Smash Bros. Brawl (EU) and maybe on all discs released in between). If you use a different version, this is on your own risk. The MIOS patching wad installer will only allow to install MIOS. This can only break the GC mode. Loader should not patch any starlet code.
2.Patch MIOS using MIOSPatchingWADInstaller.
3.Copy your Gamecube Homebrew DOL into SD root as start.dol. Use Wii front SD slot.
4.Launch GCBooterHomebrew. This will start the the DOL on the SD card. If screen looks strange, you need to try it again. It is sometimes not working.
You can use Wii Homebrew Launcher to load GameCube homebrew. To do this, copy the EMULATOR directory at the root of the SD card and copy your homebrew in /EMULATOR/GCUBE/ROMS. In Wii Homebrew Launcher, go to Emulator channel, select 'GameCube Homebrew' channel and select the homebrew to load.

Now what I'm wondering is if I need the corresponding MIOS that's mentioned already on my system? I understand I need a wad of the RVL-mios-V5.wad.out.wad, which I can easily retrieve from my SMG game. Or does this simply mean I'll be replacing a current MIOS with this version patched? I understand this might break GC mode, but to my knoweledge this can be corrected by re-installing the original unpatched MIOS version correct? I could wait for proper ports of some GC homebrew. Others I simply want to play again. Some may note my request for the GC version of NeoCD Redux request thread in the request and ideas forum.

Now my other question is if I break GC mode then should I use a MIOS that corresponds to my system menu version or any MIOS? I ask, cause I officially updated my Wii to 3.0U through the SMG game. When Wii homebrew didnt work after that, I installed 3.2U via means which isnt supported here. Yeah I know, but I already did it so dont scorn me for it.....Anyways I dont know if 3.2U uses a different MIOS version or not as opposed to 3.0U, but I want to be sure I dont break anything else by giving my system a MIOS that corresponds to a system menu version higher than what I already have.

Also if someone can tell me....How safe is version 0.2.2 of GC Homebrew Launcher? Clearly there's a risk, but I assume with each progressive version after 0.2 that the risk has been somewhat reduced.

Anyways that's all I have to ask. Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 02:16PM by nightwishfan1.
Re: Couple questions regarding Gamecube Homebrew Launcher
October 27, 2009 05:42PM
The worst that can happen is you kill GC mode, in which case just get any version of MIOS you can lay your hands on (extract from a disc with WUFE or download from NUS with NUSD) and install it with a WAD installer.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.