Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

QuakeGX Debuggers needed!

Posted by Piko 
QuakeGX Debuggers needed!
April 24, 2009 01:30PM
Ok, this project has become more about getting QuakeGX to work with the newer devkits, and libraries.

I've uploaded my latest version. I've fixed some bugs, but still have one big one in the way. I need someone with GeckoUSB, and that can debug.

This is the side to side, forward backwards movement bug.

The problem is that after the current movement commands are collected, correctly, and buffered into a message correctly, and then are sent to Loop_SendUnreliableMessage, after that point, somehow they get messed up. I'm getting the feeling that there is a buffer overflow bug, that is corrupting the message buffer. Another bug is sound is messed up, and as I'm not much of a Wii programmer I don't have a clue, although it should be rewritten.

Download if you want to help fix this program.

Source: quake-wii-piko.tag.gz

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2009 12:57AM by Piko.
Re: Help compiling my networking version of QuakeGX
April 24, 2009 03:00PM
I needed to add the following line in the Makefile:

include $(DEVKITPPC)/wii_rules

GX version compiled fine

EDIT: I got an erro when loading from HBC :-/
not a valid application, I believe it has something to do with the Makefile, it doesn't use the common template an it's using objcopy instead of elf2dol ?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 03:18PM by ekeeke.
April 24, 2009 03:51PM
This was indeed an issue with objcopy, using elf2dol instead fixed the dol.

After quick testing, nunchuk/wiimote directions are indeed broken, so long as sound (?)
I know Eluan got some problems with nunchuk detection and is handling this in an uncommon way (probing WPAD status on each frame), it might be related to some later wiiuse modifications in libogc...

Just in case this means something, I enabled network connection (multiplayer "New Game" option) and it returns UDP socket error

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 03:53PM by ekeeke.
April 24, 2009 03:58PM
Yeah, you can only join games, you can't host yet.

And thanks for the information, I noticed the wii_rules missing when I was trying to compile it in windows.

Hrmmm, I wish I could figure out how to get in touch with Eluan. He must be compiling these some how, because he's released his latest version with SDHD support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 04:00PM by Piko.
April 24, 2009 04:34PM
I get the feeling that Eluan hasn't included the latest version of his Makefile into the SVN repository.

I remember making changes to QuakeGX back in version 0.02, and not having any problems. This is really frustrating, because you can connect to a server, and then watch other people kill each other, and kill you. =(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 04:34PM by Piko.
April 24, 2009 04:44PM
Perhaps it would be easier to change Q1Rev to be more like QuakeGX?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 04:47PM by Arikado.
April 24, 2009 04:53PM
I think I've figured out the problem... Give me a sec.
April 24, 2009 04:58PM
Alright, it all relates to the joy stick inputs, and wii pointer movements are not sending movements to the player. If you bind all the controls to the d-pad on a game cube control you can move around.
April 24, 2009 05:18PM
Alright, I've been trying alternate version of devkitPCC, libfat, and libogc. Trying different combination, and I still can't get this to compile, and work correctly. Until Eluan shows up, and builds this, or tells us what setup he's using, I'm calling it a day.
April 24, 2009 05:21PM
Triple posting = fail. Please take advantage of our edit button.

Also, please see my previous comment in your topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 05:22PM by Arikado.
April 24, 2009 06:16PM
Thanks for picking this up and attempting to add online. I notice eluan's last log in on youtube is from a week ago, so maybe messaging him there will get a response (search for eluancm). Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 06:20PM by Sir_Voe.
April 24, 2009 11:47PM
Arikado
Perhaps it would be easier to change Q1Rev to be more like QuakeGX?

It would be easier to rewrite QuakeGX's input system. QuakeGX only needs net code, and maybe a input rewrite, were Q1Rev needs on screen keyboard, improving the input, and controls, implementing a GX render system, advanced render configuration like over scanning, the ability to bind your own controls, and not to mention any bugs that are still looming. Also Eluan did a really great job separating the generic portable part of quake, and his Wii port code.

Before I go rewriting the input system, and maybe buying a gekko debugger, I'm going to wait until Eluan can take a look, because I'm sure I'm missing something stupid, like a compiler flag, or some specific build requirements. He was able to build working version of his code, and I know I can't for some reason. It's always the same bug, whether it's my net patched version or Eluan original version, no joystick axis movement, and no Wii pointer turning.
April 26, 2009 02:27PM
I second that: Quake GX is far more advanced and better designed than the recent Q1 port.

I'm sure the WPAD issues can be easily fixed.
One suggestion: try to always force nunchuk_detected and wiimote_detected to 1 instead of calling WPAD_Probe on each frame, to see if the issue is with detection timings. It could be that the available code is not the one on which the release was based

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 02:28PM by ekeeke.
April 26, 2009 05:30PM
Yeah, I'm going to give fixing QuakeGX from SVN one more try. I've already created a buggy port of the GX rendering system to Q1Rev, but Q1Rev is rather primitive still, and QuakeGX would make for a far better base. I just wish there was a way to get into contact with Eluan, or anyone else who worls on QuakeGX, but I can't get in touch with anyone.
Re: QuakeGX Debuggers needed!
May 04, 2009 02:53PM
Hey, Piko.

If the feature is implemented, how do you select the other mission packs (hipnotic and the other)?
Re: QuakeGX Debuggers needed!
May 06, 2009 12:19AM
post deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 01:31AM by Sir_Voe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login