Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some Questions About BootMii

Posted by GrungeKid17 
Some Questions About BootMii
August 22, 2009 10:21PM
Hello, I'm sure these have been asked many times, but I'm just looking for some srtaight-up answers. I've been considering getting it for some time now, but I just want to know a few things before I decide to install it.

1)Is BootMii illegal in any way, shape or form?
2)What are some advantages and disadvantages to having BootMii installed on your Wii?
3)How likely is my Wii to get bricked if I install BootMii? (I run System Menu 4.0)
4)Do you need a Mod Chip or USBGecko to run BootMii on the Wii?
5)If I do install BootMii, how do I upgrade/downgrade my Wii System Menu so I can still play the WiiWare/Virtual Console games installed on my SD Memory Card?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2009 10:23PM by GrungeKid17.
Re: Some Questions About BootMii
August 22, 2009 10:24PM
1) Bootmii is completely legal. no illegal code is used in it.
2) There are (next to) no advantages of having Bootmii as IOS on your Wii. However, Bootmii as Boot2 makes a practically unbrickale Wii. there are no disadvantages, except maybe an annoying Boot-up menu (which can be removed)
3) It is HIGHLY unlikey that your Wii will get bricked by Bootmii. I'd say about half a percent chance.
4) You do npt need either, just a Homebrew enabled Wii
5) you do not need to upgrade the Wii in any way other than the way Nintendo wants you to. Nintendo will not sabotage your Wii for having Bootmii installed on it. All you need is system menu version 4.0 or above to play VC/WW from SD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2009 10:26PM by metroid_maniac.
August 22, 2009 10:26PM
1. No not in any way.
2. Bootmii boot 2 has many advantages. It will let you boot straight into HBC skipping all of the system menu junk. Also if you brick you can restore a NAND backup that you made before the brick. Bootmii IOS doesn't do much.
3. You can't brick by just installing bootmii.
4. No
5. Bootmii doesn't let you upgrade or downgrade
August 22, 2009 10:27PM
Okay, thank you for the help. ^_^
August 22, 2009 10:34PM
No problem
August 22, 2009 10:37PM
Just one more question though.

Can/how do I install boot2 instead of just the IOS on my Wii? Like I said, I run System Menu 4.0 so I'm not sure if I can install the hacked boot2.

I'm a n00b to this whole Homebrew thing.
August 22, 2009 10:38PM
Run the Hackmii Installer. After you get past the scam warning, it'll say "the test results are in!" and say if you can install Bootmii as Boot2.
August 22, 2009 10:41PM
Okay, cool. Again, thanks! ^_^
August 22, 2009 11:29PM
System Menu version is irrelevant to ability to install to boot2. It depends on your boot1 version (which cant be changed). See, old boot1s have an exploit which Nintendo patched in new boot1s, and you can only have bootmii as boot2 if that exploit is present.
August 23, 2009 04:49AM
Okay, thats a bit more informative. Thank you for the more detailed info abot b00t1 and boot2 SifJar.
August 24, 2009 01:58AM
Alright, one more n00b question.
I know that the boot2 runs something off the SD card inserted into the front slot.
My only problem is that I use a separate SD Memory Card for installing things onto my Wii, I keep all the homebrew apps and other things on a different memory card. So how do I make it so it reads the info off my other memory card? Do I just copy and paste certain files or do I have to do something else?
August 24, 2009 10:33AM
Boot2 is on the Wii. Bootmii patches it so that it looks for files on the SD and, if it finds them, it loads them. it it can't find them, it loads normally. these files are normally in the "bootmii" folder.simply copy the "bootmii" folder onto the second SD and the second SD will work fine.
August 24, 2009 11:34AM
Or, run the HackMii Installer with second SD card in and goto the BootMii option and select prepare SD card.
August 24, 2009 11:36AM
But that doesn't copy the configuration file. if you dont mind about this, then use SifJars method. personally I think the other method is easier.
August 24, 2009 04:44PM
I agree with metroid_maniac. His method seems way easier. Thank's for the help! ^_^

I'm pretty sure that's my last question... xD
August 24, 2009 10:49PM
just remember... if you have any questions ask here!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login