Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNES9xGx bugs with Seiken Densetsu 3

Posted by Riccalder 
SNES9xGx bugs with Seiken Densetsu 3
July 12, 2009 05:37AM
This post concerns two bugs with the Seiken Densetsu 3, specifically with the English Patch applied to it.

The first one is a graphical bug, and it can be triggered simply by opening the ring menu. If the filter is set to "original", the screen flashes for a moment, if it is set to anything else, the resolution gets messed up and scrambled pixels appear. This issue first appeared in the release of SNES9xGx that added the filters, prior to this it was working fine. This likely only happens in the English Translation.

The second seems to be some kind of randomizer error (though I can't confirm that this doesn't happen on the cart), but whenever you're planting seeds of any kind, you ALWAYS get the same sequence of items, regardless of whether you reset the game, fight some battles, plant other kinds of seeds, etc. This makes getting the correct class change items from ??? seeds almost totally impossible because you might need dozens to get the items you need and they're very rare.

This issue also exists on the PC version of SNES9x, and has been present for a ton of versions (possibly forever). In the end, I was only able to get the items I needed to class change by using a Game Genie. ZSNES (older versions, at least) does not have this issue, resetting or powering off the game changes the sequence of items that you're given.

I can provide a save file for testing purposes if necessary.
Re: SNES9xGx bugs with Seiken Densetsu 3
July 13, 2009 11:29PM
Don't report issues present in the PC version here - go to the Snes9x forums to do that.

That's annoying, though - my friend and I are playing through this at the moment. I'll have to do the fix on a pc.
July 15, 2009 11:42PM
The first issue (regarding the display of the ring menu) is legitimately exclusive to the Wii version - or at least, the PC versions of SNES9x I have used do not exhibit it, I haven't used every possible one.

I am fairly certain that it was introduced with the graphic filters, because I was regularly updating my Wii SNES9x in the hopes of a fix for the second issue, so hopefully that should give you something to work with.
July 16, 2009 12:07AM
For the first issue, do you have hq filters ON when it happens?
July 16, 2009 03:14PM
Tantric
For the first issue, do you have hq filters ON when it happens?

Just booted it up to check, and yes, I had the HQ2x Soft filter set (I tried the other HQ2xs and they do it too). I had figured the "filter" value would be ignored when the rendering was set to anything other than "filtered", but setting this value to "none" does indeed get rid of that display error.
July 16, 2009 05:08PM
Yes, what's happening is parts of that game are rendered as 256x224 and other parts are 512x448.

hq2x does what it sounds like, doubles the resolution so 256x224 becomes 512x448. But then the 512x448 can't be doubled (since it already kind of is), so the simplest solution was to turn off the hq2x when drawing those scenes.

Please remember that the hq2x is just experimental.
July 20, 2009 04:10AM
Right, I know a couple fan-translations use the "SNES Hi-Rez mode" (I think Treasure of Rudras is another one), I figured the problem was likely related to that.

Good to know that turning the filter off fixes it, I never would have thought to do that because I didn't think it was looking at that value.
August 25, 2009 09:35PM
i never experienced the seed bug on the pc (nor snes9x, Zsnes) and i did the class change...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login