Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Final Fantasy 5 slow on VBA GX?

Posted by Cmnatchaha 
Final Fantasy 5 slow on VBA GX?
December 18, 2009 04:47PM
Seems like there is a frame skipping issue when I only play this game. it is very choppy.Tried some other games (Breath of Fire 2, Mother 3) without any problems. Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know i there is a way to tweak the frame skipping or how to fix this?
Re: Final Fantasy 5 slow on VBA GX?
December 18, 2009 06:32PM
It's already skipping frames as best it can. Simple fact is the emulator can't keep up. The Wii doesn't provide enough power to do so for the current code.
December 18, 2009 06:50PM
So there's nothing that can be done about it now correct? Maybe in a future update?
December 19, 2009 07:49AM
Tantric is keeping up with around five or so different projects...VBA being one of them, so for him alone anyways there isnt much he can really do about it, though that's not to say that nothing cant be done about it. He merely needs help with optimizing the emulator more for Wii, which means getting a coder compitent enough to help him do so. So definitely in a future update, but not likely from Tantric directly.
December 20, 2009 06:11PM
I understand, and I appreciate everything Tantric has done with the emulator. I just want to make sure that there are no options I have for making the game run any faster or smoother as of now.
December 21, 2009 07:10AM
runs slow for golden sun the lost age as well
December 23, 2009 03:28PM
So am I correct to assume that other people have had the same problem with this game? I just want to make sure that there is nothing I can do as of right now.
December 23, 2009 07:49PM
^^^Yeah people have had problems with that game. Primarily cause it used a solar sensor thing. There are patches for that, that help with how a emulator runs the game and what not, but with the emulator not being optimised it wouldnt make much difference if the game was or wasnt patched....Not with this particular emulator anyway, until someone helps Tantric with it.
December 24, 2009 03:53AM
I posted about FFV. But I'm under the impression that I just need to wait for an update.
December 25, 2009 11:29PM
^^^Check the main page for the latest releases of Tantrics emulators. He released new versions and I read on the VBA page that he gave it some minor optimizations. I'm not sure if that will improve the gameplay from last time, but it might depending on what those optimizations were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2009 11:29PM by nightwishfan1.
December 26, 2009 12:38AM
I did a major overhaul of a vital loop for the GBA code. The next update should reflect this. It may not be perfect, but at least it's something. I'm working as fast as I can!
December 26, 2009 02:07AM
What will that do?
December 26, 2009 04:29AM
dancinninja
I did a major overhaul of a vital loop for the GBA code. The next update should reflect this. It may not be perfect, but at least it's something. I'm working as fast as I can!

Take your time man if you're helping Tantric. Nobody is pushing you to get done faster.
December 26, 2009 07:20AM
Cmnatchaha
What will that do?

Several things, all of which you won't be able to see. Individual testing of everything yielded ranges of 5-25% speed increases. There are a lot of changes, but I have to be VERY careful as to what I commit to because, for instance, I once had to spend an entire DAY pinpointing the piece of code that mysteriously made half of the screen black. So I have to change a little piece, build the whole thing, test it with several games, and then say "yeah, it's good". It's a slow process, but one that ensures that I don't break anything.

And thanks, nightwish. I appreciate it.
December 28, 2009 02:37AM
Cool, I'll be waiting for the next update then. Thank you for your contribution.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login