Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Priiloader 0.4, GCBooter 1.0 and Gecko OS 1.9.3.1 won't play out-of-region Gamecube games (4.2E)

Posted by kozuki6 
(Key items are italicised or bolded.)

I recently bought The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (NTSC-US) to play on my System Menu 4.2E Australian-launch Wii. Before I started, I had no NAND modifications; I had once had BootMii installed both as boot2 and an IOS, but had deleted both using the HackMii installer.

My first port of call was the GCBooter application. On the Wiibrew Wiki, this game is listed as compatible on PAL Wiis. I downloaded version 1.0 because I don't feel I have the skills or confidence to compile TLH's red-screen-fix version (version 0.9 [TLH]) - plus, I don't even know what the "red screen problem" is!

GCBooter would start the game. However, immediately after the Nintendo logo appeared, I would get a message saying some thing to the effect of "The disc could not be read." Ejecting the disc and re-inserting it is said on the Wiki to be able to fix this problem, but the same message would appear each time the disc was re-inserted. EDIT: Basically, I got the first four seconds of this video. After a few re-insertions, occasionally, the (more serious) error, "An error has occurred," would appear. I confirmed that the disc was indeed being read, because I took it out and put in a new game, and got a message saying, "Insert the game disc for The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures." However, it never seemed to read the right disc! Hence, I moved on to trying Gecko OS.

According to the Gecko OS discussion page, it supports out-of-region GC games. However, even after trying many different settings (Force NTSC, Force PAL60, Force PAL50), I would get either "An error has occurred" after the Nintendo logo or no game at all.

I tried GCBooter and Gecko OS with both PAL50 and PAL60 video settings, but neither worked for Four Swords Adventures. However, I got the Ocarina of Time bonus disc that came with PAL copies of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker to work on either GCBooter or Gecko OS - yet I couldn't get Wind Waker to work on either. I also tried both applications with and without a blank memory card inserted, but it wouldn't work either way.

All the while, in-region (PAL) GC games booted just fine from the Disc Channel. Hence, I thought it was about time to try Priiloader.

However, I first thought that a problem may lie with the MIOS or BC. Hence, I used DOP-Mii (version 12)to experiment with installing both the newest and the oldest versions of MIOS and BC available, after first installing a signing-bug and identity-verifying-bug IOS36. Neither having the oldest MIOS and oldest BC or newest MIOS and newest BC worked with GCBooter or Gecko OS. PAL GC games continued to work through the disc channel.

As different MIOSes and BCs didn't work, I installed BootMii as an IOS using the HackMii installer (version 0.6?). After installing BootMii, I installed Priiloader (version 0.4) using its installer, working off, I believe, IOS36. I used the appropriate 4.2E hack.ini and confirmed that hacks were working by running an out-of-region Wii game (Metroid Prime Trilogy NTSC-US) through the disc channel.

However, Four Swords Adventures continued to not work. In fact, it worked even worse than it did under Gecko OS or GCBooter: after clicking the "Start" button in the Disc Channel, the screen would turn black and, although I thought I could hear the disc spinning, the laser could not be heard moving, the screen never changed and no sound was heard. I tried hitting random buttons on the GC controller, but nothing happened. I tried running the game with and without a GC memory card inserted and not inserted, with PAL50 and with PAL60 set as the video output and nothing changed. Yet PAL-region GC games continued to work just fine with and without the Region Free GC Games hack active.

I'm now completely at a loss as to why none of these methods are working. Any advice on how I can get this damn game to work?

EDIT: New info

Using another method for region-free Gamecube games from the Disc Channel, I found that the problem doesn't lie with Priiloader's hacks: the other method didn't load the game either. Also, I found that I could get the Wii to recognise a GBA connected to the Wii just before the game started-up via a Gamecube Game Boy Advance Cable.

Summary

Booting from Gecko OS or the Disc Channel (after applying region-free hacks/modifications) results in a black screen and zero signs of life.

Booting from GCBooter results in the game beginning to start up (showing the Nintendo logo and having some GBA functionality), but this only leads to a disc read error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2010 03:26PM by kozuki6.
Is there any chance that the disc is damaged. Maybe the disc read error is because the disc actually cannot be read--by anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login