Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preoloader question.

Posted by AustinSushi 
Preoloader question.
July 30, 2010 09:17AM
So, I'm running on 4.0 and I haven't ever downgraded. I installed preloader via HBC, and, after the disclaimer, got some illegible text at the top of the screen for about 10 seconds, and was sent back to the HBC. Assuming the installation was successful, I powered down and powered back up, which just took me to the system menu. So I powered down again, and powered up again, this time holding reset. Still, just the system menu. Having only installed preloader (or attempted to) so I can skip disk updates (easily skipped by gecko os, but rather a nuisance) from the system menu, I don't really need it. But I would like to know if there's any danger in trying again, leaving it as it is, or doing it differently.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.
Re: Preoloader question.
July 30, 2010 04:16PM
Install Priiloader, its more up-to-date and the installer is different.

Anyway, the preloader installer IIRC required certain buttons to be pressed for it to continue (which it told you in the text which was illegible for you) and if you didn't press them, it returned you to HBC.

If you ONLY want to skip disc updates, you may want to use StartPatch to patch the System Menu instead, as Priiloader slows down the Wii's boot process (marginally), and is only really worth it for its other features IMO. StartPatch can do what you want.
July 30, 2010 10:10PM
I was considering that, but I wasn't sure if it would conflict with Preloader in any way, seeing as how I wasn't sure if it had installed or not. I don't really care about the boot process taking a little longer, as long as I can get it installed. And, yes, I was going to use StartPatch, but I decided against it and went with Preloader for anti-bricking purposes.

That aside, thanks for the help.
July 31, 2010 12:41AM
Ah, one more thing.

Is it absolutely necessary to install the patched version of IOS60 to install Priiloader correctly?
July 31, 2010 01:18AM
it is better NOT to install a patched IOS60 for Priiloader, thats only needed for preloader.

And for future reference, its fine to install priiloader over preloader, however in your case, preloader wasn't installed at all, so its definitely fine.
July 31, 2010 03:29AM
Oh, that makes things easier.

Alright, then. Thanks for all your help.
July 31, 2010 11:49PM
Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but this is getting annoying...

This is what happens after attempting to install Priiloader:

"ES_Identify failed, error (huge number). ios61 not patched with ES_DIVerify? using cios (holding b and then pressing + or -) will probably solve this. NOTE: you need CIOS for this. Do you wish to continue?"

Trying again holding b yields the same results. What exactly do I need? I've heard that you do in fact need to install iOS60patched.wad, but I've also heard that all you need is cIOS.

Unfortunately, I couldn't install bootmii as boot2, so I'm trying to be careful, as this is my main and only wii.
August 01, 2010 12:22AM
Patching IOS60 will do NO good, as the installer is running on IOS61. What you need to do is run dop-Mii and choose "install an IOS that accepts fake signatures" and allow it to do that, and then when its finished, goto the IOS menu and install IOS61, latest revision with all patches. Then run the Priiloader installer again and it should work.
August 01, 2010 01:43AM
If you patch IOS 61, the Homebrew Channel will flip upside down (yes, I'm serious). To avoid this, install cIOS 249. Then press b when the Priiloader installer tells you to so that it will run on the cIOS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2010 01:44AM by jbc007.
August 01, 2010 10:23AM
Oh yeah, forgot about that.
August 01, 2010 09:44PM
jbc007
If you patch IOS 61, the Homebrew Channel will flip upside down

That would be a bother.

That should work, then. Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login