Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MPlayer CE and WiiMC both have desync issues

Posted by dallas_burn 
MPlayer CE and WiiMC both have desync issues
October 15, 2010 04:17PM
Hi All
I have 2+ year old Wii that I wanted to use it as a network media player. I have the Wii on 4.3U and I followed the the instruction on [www.wiibrew.org] and have successfully installed BootMii as boot2 and HBC 1.0.8. I *think* I am on IOS58 but not sure (how do I check it?). Every things works... Yay!!!

I installed the latest wiiMC and MPlayer CE and both exhibit pronounced desync issues while playing a m4v video file. The lag between audio and video is over 5 seconds. Here are all the things I have tried so far

(1) Used the wireless connection with the video mounted as SMB
(2) Copied the video file on the SDHC card
(3) Based on previous discussions on this forum, change the frameskipping to Auto and then Always

None of these seem to matter. Just as a data point, netflix over my wireless connection play *flawlessly*. Which leads me to believe, it may be the application or my video file. BTW, I have ripped a 6Gb movie down to a 2Gb size using Handbrake in the m4v format.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
dallas_burn
Re: MPlayer CE and WiiMC both have desync issues
October 15, 2010 08:46PM
From the sounds of it that file is just too much for the Wii to handle. Rip it down to a smaller resolution and/or bitrate. Remember that the Wii can't actually show > 640x480 anyway, so there's no point in having a video with a massive resolution - you're really not gaining anything.

Also stay away from h264 - it's a CPU-intensive codec, and the Wii doesn't have a powerful CPU. You'll be best off with something like divx, which can still give you excellent quality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login