Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Difference between DOP-Mii and DOP-Mii WiiBrew Edition???

Posted by Iwatasan 
Difference between DOP-Mii and DOP-Mii WiiBrew Edition???
June 17, 2011 12:03AM
Greetings, it's been a while since I've checked out the Wii Homebrew scene. I was really into it last summer but haven't kept up on it much since. Last night I got around to updating my apps and everything homebrew on my Wii, which was easy to do for most of it with Homebrew Browser. But a few apps I have aren't available on HBB so I have to update them manually.

One of these is DOP-Mii. I'm still on v12, and as I understand, v15 is now available. v12 allowed me to update my Shop Channel to v20 last night, but now I get a "002 Error" when I try to access the channel. Searching online for the cause of the error, it seems I need to update IOS56 to v5662. However DOP-Mii, which I would normally use for this purpose, doesn't have that version of that IOS available to update to. So, I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, I need to update DOP-Mii (or find a different app but nevermind that) to download the latest version of IOS56.

This is where I run into some confusion. I see that DOP-Mii has three different builds available simultaneously these days. One is for developers. I understand that. But the difference between the other two is where I'm unclear.

From what I can gather (again correct me if I'm wrong): the standard edition is just like my old version 12 (with improvements obviously), whereas the WiiBrew edition has taken out "any functionality relating to patching or installing patched IOSs".

- Are there other differences I don't know about?
- How does WiiBrew v15 work now without cIOS36 when v12 had to have it?
- If I don't need cIOS for DOP-Mii anymore, then I don't need cIOS for anything I do with Homebrew. So I should update to the latest WiiBrew version instead of the latest standard version, right? Or would that mean missing out on other useful functionality?
- If I update from standard version 12 to WiiBrew version 15, will I run into any issues with having previously patched IOSs?
- Once I've updated, can I safely restore IOS15, 36, and 202 (I think that was all of them) to non-cIOS versions?
- And back to my original issue: can DOP-Mii WiiBrew v15 update IOS56 to v5662, and will that get rid of my Shop Channel "Error 002"?

TIA Arikado or anyone with enough knowledge to answer that barrage of questions.
Re: Difference between DOP-Mii and DOP-Mii WiiBrew Edition???
June 17, 2011 12:21AM
A few months back, HBC added a function known as HW_AHBPROT. Basically what this means is that HBC has its TMD set so that when the System Menu loads HBC, it gives it full hardware access, rather than it needing to rely on IOS to get the hardware access (which means going through Nintendo's security system). So HW_AHBPROT allows bypassing Nintendo's security. This means developers can make use of this feature and patch the current IOS in memory, without any permanently patched IOS.

After this, WiiBrew purged all apps that used or installed patched IOS, as they are now redundant. At this point, dop-Mii forked into two separate revisions. The WiiBrew Edition relies purely on HW_AHBPROT, requires no patched IOS and can install no patched IOS. Seeing as, like you said, patched IOS are largely unnecessary now, this is fine for most users.

The "normal" version is still updated for those people who do have use for patched IOS (there are very few legitimate uses, but some old apps still use them), but it is not allowed on WiiBrew, and we'd rather you didn't discuss it too much here (although obviously we aren't going to punish you as you didn't know).

For your purposes, the WiiBrew Edition should suffice just perfectly. As you thought, update IOS56 and you can update every other IOS to its latest official revision too. When you run it, select the option to use "IOS##+AHBPROT" (## should be 58 if you have IOS58, but I think it should work with another IOS if you don't have IOS58).
June 17, 2011 12:47PM
All right! Thanks Sif. That mostly clears up my confusion about the difference between the WiiBrew version and the standard version. But are there any other differences in functionality besides the lack of support for IOS patching, or is that really it?

Now that I no longer have any need for patched IOSs, can I safely restore IOS15, 36, and 202 (I think that was all of them) to non-cIOS versions?

You also say "You can update every other IOS to its latest official revision too." Are you sure there's no possibility of a brick doing this when I'm not running the latest System Menu version (I'm on 4.2U)?
June 17, 2011 01:41PM
Yes, that is the ONLY difference between them I believe. And yes, you can restore IOS15 and 36 to their official revisions. IOS202 isn't an official IOS, so you can just uninstall it if you don't need it anymore.

And what I said about updating all IOS, it's not strictly necessary. Although for the record there is no harm in just updating officially to 4.3. That gets shop channel working and breaks nothing provided you have installed the latest version of HBC. My Wii is currently on 4.3, because I couldn't be bothered to use workarounds to access Shop Channel on lower System Menus, particularly seeing as lower System Menus have no advantage over 4.3.
June 18, 2011 02:54AM
Right on, thanks again Sif! That totally clears up my confusion about the difference between the WiiBrew edition and the other edition which will no longer be named heh heh. Wow so 4.3 is OK now huh? Things have changed since I last checked in. Still, I guess I'll stick with 4.2 at least until 4.4 comes out and see what that version has to offer, if anything. Meantime, I'm gonna update DOP-Mii (WiiBrew ed) and my IOSs and see if that doesn't squash my Error #002 problem.

Now just for the sake of clarification, in case anyone else runs into the same ERROR #002 problem: What happens is unless you're using System Menu 4.3, clicking on Shop Channel tells you that you need to update your System Menu and will therefore not let you into the channel. But, you can alternatively just update Shop Channel without updating the System Menu. Using DOP-Mii, update Shop Channel to v20. But if you leave it at that, the result will be that every time you click on the Shop Channel you get a blue screen which reads:

ERROR #002
An error has occurred.
Press the Eject Button, remove the Game Disc, and turn off the power to the console.
Please read the Wii Operations Manual for further instructions.

Shop Channel v20 requires the latest version of IOS56 to run (v5661). So if you update just the channel without the IOS, you get the blue screen. Update the IOS, solve the problem. Just update IOS56 to version 5661. This can also be done with DOP-Mii, but it has to be the latest version of DOP-Mii, apparently. I was using v12, and had to upgrade to v15 WiiBrew edition to be able to do it.

I had no problems installing the WiiBrew edition in spite of my having a few previously patched IOSs from the regular version. It did hang a few times while running the app, but I guess that's just homebrew for you.

Thanks again Sif!

EDIT: Found one issue: turns out DOP-Mii WiiBrew does hang eventually (usually sooner than later) every time I run it from IOS36. IOS36 is pre-selected when I run DOP-Mii WiiBrew. Is that normal? That's the IOS I used when I was using DOP-Mii v12 but now I have v15 WiiBrew. It works fine when I run it from IOS58, which is where I have HBC installed. Any way to change the pre-selection to IOS58? Updating IOS58, 36, and 15 did not help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2011 03:35AM by Iwatasan.
June 18, 2011 11:30AM
Is there not an option "IOS58+AHBPROT" when you load it? I haven't actually used it myself, but I believe that is how it should happen.
June 19, 2011 12:31AM
Ah well, for me it first asks:
Which IOS would you like to use to install other IOSes?
IOS: 36
Scan the Wii's internals (SysCheck)
Exit

IOS36 is pre-selected. I can change it to whatever I want. If I leave it at 36 the app will soon hang, but if I change it to 58 first it works perfectly. After you select the IOS it goes:
You have AHBPROT available for use.
To continue using AHBPROT press A
To proceed with your selected option instead press B

When I push A, it tries to apply a list of temporary patches to whatever IOS I chose. There are 6, including DI ReadLimit, NAND Permissions, ES_SetUID, ES_Identify, Trucha (may fail), and New Trucha (may fail). The old Trucha does fail, but that's the only one. Then it goes to the same old menu of:
IOS, BC, MIOS
Channels
System Menu
Boot2
Scan the Wii's internals (SysCheck)
June 19, 2011 10:29AM
Hmm, dunno why that is. I thought that it'd automatically want to run on IOS58 when HBC is using IOS58.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login