Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Homebrew Browser error: "Creating folders failed."

Posted by teebonesy 
Re: Homebrew Browser error: "Creating folders failed."
June 01, 2009 11:16PM
I can confirm, this happened to me last night. When trying a fresh install, when it downloads everything, I get an error:

"Cannot Open, Aborting", then Squares after the name (Causing an invalid folder name, so it can't be installed is my best guess)

Problem happened exactly like this a while back from what I've seen

*Was googling the problem and came upon this forum, and saw people had posted about it today XD*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 11:17PM by ProgenitorVirus.
June 01, 2009 11:39PM
ProgenitorVirus
I can confirm, this happened to me last night. When trying a fresh install, when it downloads everything, I get an error:

"Cannot Open, Aborting"

I'm fairly sure I get the same error when the first time booting from a fresh install. It happens when it is trying to extract the the pngs. This seems to fit with the "creating folders failed" error since that error happens after the download and during extraction as well.
June 01, 2009 11:45PM
True, also I've noticed, when Extraction fails, it attempts to delete folders, which also fails

Edit:

Is this a server side issue? Or application? To me it sounds like something went wrong on the magical other end we download things from, because 24 hours ago it worked fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 11:53PM by ProgenitorVirus.
June 02, 2009 01:36AM
Howdy all,

I just did my first ever homebrew stuff on the Wii. I used bannerbomb, then did homebrew channel, then did the homebrew downloader. I'm experiencing the same download problems as others have reported, though like the others, the problem only happens with certain apps. I went back, reformatted my SD card, and put everything back on it -- and it still happens.

What else can we do to help debug this issue?

Thanks!
June 02, 2009 01:44AM
If I interpreted the info correctly last time round ... The homebrew list gets effed up every now and then, causing the squares [].
Teknecal has to fix it manually. Sever side issue, with us downloading copy of the brew list.
I can't see a particular oddity in the list, but it could be line endings... I can't test since it updates the file on every load.
June 02, 2009 02:25AM
I have the []s at the end of most lines of text in the browser. I noticed that I was able to download and extract Lights Out which is 3.4MBs, but extracting most other things fails. Lights Out doesn't have any sub folders, while the emulators and such that I was interested in do, so perhaps it's only programs that have sub folders that are causing the problem. Also, as ProgenitorVirus said, sometimes it makes some of the folders and then just leaves them there. I just upgraded from a much older version today, so I'm no help in determining if it's server side or local.
June 02, 2009 05:23AM
Just throwing it out there, I just ran into the same problem. I'll try reinstalling hbb.
June 02, 2009 07:43AM
same problem here right after updating hbc, will reformat and reinstall everything i will let you know
June 02, 2009 08:17AM
reformattign and reinstalling hbc on the sd card did not work there is the same problem
June 02, 2009 08:37AM
when i try to download Mplayer CE i get a Creating folders failed, when i try to download GeeXboX i get a deleting folders failed....
June 02, 2009 11:02AM
Sorry, should be fixed now. Will release v0.3.2 hopefully today and fix this issue once and for all.
June 02, 2009 02:41PM
Seems to be working great!
June 02, 2009 05:57PM
Looks like it's working now, thanks!
June 02, 2009 06:26PM
Thanks teknecal!
June 03, 2009 02:02AM
Works for me now, too!! Yay!!! Thanks!!
October 22, 2009 05:22AM
Sorry.. am a little frustrated with the back/forth and with being a rough week and a headache nite, I apologize
in advance if this comes off as a little confusing.

I'm having problem on my end now with errors trying to update/download an app (via homebrew channel/browser).
I think someone should clarify that perhaps the /apps/ reference to HBB being removed is on the Wii? (Sram?) vs
SD card? I did the reformatting thing and it didn't fix the issue. I have restored the HBC/HHB and ironically, FCUEX; I had tried to run an update on it, and it apparently deleted itself but could not update its files to upgrade itself.

I am not sure if when I boot up it knows to look for the HB channel on the SD itself (if inserted)

I suspect my son my have prompted an auto update some time ago, but it did not run all the way through. Aside from this hiccup above which others have had, everything seems and is running fine.

Am a little confused on the LoadMii/BootMii and wad/bol running of files. When I run LoadMii from SD/BOOT.ELF, I get v0.2; at some point I am running HackMii v0.6, and am prompted to update HBC v1.03 to v1.06. A couple of times I have had 2 HBC "squares", and not sure which is which. Running the LoadMii, I can remove all installations, but it seems it is the browser I need to update, and am not sure if it is supposed to be somehow reinstalled to the SD card, or if its the Wii/SRAM? location that is buggy. When I lifted the HBB off the SD, it did not get put back. Luckily I saved a copy of the SD\apps\ contents that I was to delete.. :|

If I am to somehow remove the Wii/SRAM? reference of the HBB, how do I get to it? I don't have any server app running
on there, and I am not sure how to get at it to back it up/remove it..

Many thanks..
-KB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login