Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preloader Question

Posted by MattMan 
Re: Preloader Question
June 18, 2009 07:54PM
well, if you're on 3.2, patchmii should be able to do the job. dunno if there is an app for IOS 36 though. WiiSCU doesn't have IOS 36. but it should be possible to make a wii app to do the job, using patchmii
June 18, 2009 09:53PM
Yeah, that would make everything much easier. I've already requested that IOS 36 be added to WiiSCU, but Wack0 has yet to respond. I would create a program myself, but I know virtually nothing about programming. I'm actually quite surprised that a program like this has not yet been created, as it would enable fakesigning on Wii's that run the program before updating to System Menu 4.0. Then, there would be no reason not to update to the latest System Menu.
June 18, 2009 10:27PM
Indeed. I'd look into creating such an app, but I know very little about programming (but I do know a little), and because this deals with IOS, it could potentially brick if something went wrong I believe, and I doubt my brother would be too happy about that, and I also doubt he'd let me install BootMii (he was reluctant to let me install homebrew at all, until I showed him Guitar Fun). If you have BootMii installed and would be willing to try it out, I'd see what I can do with the source of some patchmii app and a little bit of know-how, but I'm afraid I can't try it out myself, or even give a guarantee it'd be safe. And I most likely couldn't manage it anyway, I know very little C++, mainly just C#, which I believe is useless for Wii Homebrew.
June 18, 2009 11:07PM
Well, if you could create a program to accomplish this, I'd be happy to try it out. I have BootMii installed as boot2 and believe the risk would be minimal to my Wii.
June 18, 2009 11:29PM
yeah, i wouldn't be able to do it. thought about it for a while, realised I have very little knowledge of C or C++ or whatever, but downloaded the source of WiiSCU anyway and realised i had no idea were to start. sorry
June 18, 2009 11:39PM
That's okay, thanks for all your help so far.

I've looked around and believe I have found a legal way to do this. I could use tona's cIOS PatchMii Installer, then update to System Menu 4.0. Then, I could run WAD Manager 1.4 (I know, it's made by Waninkoko, but as far as I know it's the only application capable of installing IOS WADs by using IOS 249). I could download a previous version of IOS 36 with NUS Downloader, and then install it with WAD Manager 1.4. Is this all legal?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 01:50AM by MattMan.
June 19, 2009 02:05AM
After researching more, I am almost completely sure that everything I stated is legal, and so I went ahead and did the above... Here is what I did:
1) I downloaded and ran tona's cIOS PatchMii Installer
2) I downloaded a previous version of IOS 36 with NUS Downloader (Title ID: 0000000100000024 v1042)
3) I updated my Wii to System Menu 4.0 through Nintendo
4) I used WAD Manager 1.4 to install the old IOS 36 (SUCCESS!!!)
5) I ran the Preloader installer (SUCCESS!!!)

I confirm that Preloader works fine, as well as AnyTitle Deleter, WiiSCU (I can even install IOSes with the trucha bug), FS Toolbox, and Gecko OS (and Rebooter).

I believe you could also perform this method on a 4.0 Wii, but you would need to do a few extra steps.
June 19, 2009 06:23PM
I don't believe you could actually, as PatchMii doesn't work without trucha, and i assume it needs IOS 36 to have trucha, which is the end result of all this. and everything you did is legal. however, if the cIOS patchmii installer can work off IOS 35 with trucha, then you could run CMDVDX35 to downgrade IOS 35, then do your stuff. Or just use WAD Manager 1.4 which I believe works with IOS 35 with trucha.
June 19, 2009 07:46PM
This is what I believe you would do for System Menu 4.0:

1) Use CMDVDX34 to downgrade IOS 35
2) Use WMIOS35 to install IOS 36 v1042
3) Install Preloader
June 19, 2009 11:38PM
Instead of WMIOS35, I believe you could just use WAD Manager 1.4, as I read it lets you choose to use IOS 35, which is what is necessary. So just do that at step two instead (well, I guess it wouldn't make a difference really), and then the other steps will work. And if you really want, I believe you could then run AnyRegion Changer to downgrade to 3.2, but there's little point if you have trucha IOS anyway.
June 20, 2009 12:28AM
Yeah, cool. It looks like this topic has finally been solved!

Thanks to all who helped! (Especially SifJar)
June 20, 2009 12:30PM
No problem. Although I don't really think I helped much, just suggested stupid impossible ideas.
June 23, 2009 09:58PM
Where do you get cmdvdx35?
June 23, 2009 09:59PM
Google CMDVDX34.
June 23, 2009 10:02PM
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login