Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Revolution Engine 0.3 NOW AVAIABLE

Posted by technik 
Revolution Engine 0.3 NOW AVAIABLE
January 15, 2009 01:09PM
Hellow, I'm Technik, the developper of the Revolution Engine.
For those of you who don't know it, Revolution Engine is a 3D game engine for Wii based on libogc. It's awsomely simple to use (almost everything is done in a single line of code). Current version is 0.2.5 but I'm releasing the new 0.3 version in a few days. 0.3 features include:
2D system:
-Images and texts
-rotation and scale of images
-Colors and sizes for texts
-transparency
-Multiple (thousands) layers
-Hardware Rendered
3D rendering sistem
-Hardware rendered
-Static mesh loading
-Animated meshes loading (md5)
-Textures
-Transparency
Physics
-Collision Detection points, spheres, boxes.
-Time speed adjustements (bullet-time effects for example)

In addition, for future releases, I'm also developping the lighting system (supporting different kind of lights), the shadows (full scene shadowing), many improvements on physics, texture effects like normal bump mapping and gloss mapping...and so on. The website is qute primitive but i'm uploading content regularly, you can visit it at Revolution Engine

UPDATE: Version 0.3 is now avaiable for download at the website. I'll start uploading tutorials soon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 12:50PM by technik.
Re: Revolution Engine 0.3 NOW AVAIABLE
January 28, 2009 02:21PM
I have tried using the release in one of my projects. First I got some compile errors which came due to an old linker parameter inside the Makefile.

From the released Makefile:

LIBS := -lpng -lz -lfat -lwiiuse -lbte -logc -lm -lsdcard

The library sdcard isn't used any longer with devkitpro. Instead, the library fat is used. Since -lfat is stated in the linker params, I removed -lsdcard and compiling worked out without any errors.

Maybe you forgot to remove the linker parameter in your released Makefile.

greets David

EDIT: found the solution to this problem while reading update logs on http://www.devkitpro.org/libogc/libogc-updated/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2009 02:24PM by Flashmasterdash.
Re: Revolution Engine 0.3 NOW AVAIABLE
January 30, 2009 11:07AM
Hello technik!

Since I started coding a Wii port of Evolving Universe Space Opera, I already implemented the Rev-Engine into my project. After some lines of code, and reading all the headers and sources of your latest release I began translating your comments and function/variable/etc-names into the English language (for my better understanding).
Of course, the Revolution Engine is your project, and so your are free to use the language of your choice. But to achieve a greater distribution/use, and also a bigger project community I would advice you to work towards a internationalized release (English language would do great). Everybody could make profit of that - your community, because of easier understanding, and you for yourself, because of more feedback from users. It is just my opinion, and of course you are free to do what you think is best for your project.

Greetings David.
Where is Technik?
February 01, 2009 01:27PM
Since release 0.3 there was no life sign of Revolution Engine developer technik :(
I tried to contact him over several platforms, including his own blog, homepage and forum, but it seems he wasn't online for a while...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 01:32PM by Flashmasterdash.
Re: Where is Technik?
February 02, 2009 06:28PM
Yeah...I'm sorry I've been offline, but I had problems with my ISP.
Now I have news:
First, the issue with the makefile...it's extrange because it doesn`t give me errors...I'll try changing it. Thanks for the report
Second, I'm building the website Up, uploading tutorials, creating the gallery, etc...you can see at Revolution Engine
Third, I'm already working on version 0.4 wich will bring many new features, bug-fixes and optimizations.
And, last but not least, for everyone of you who want to use the engine, can send me an email to my personal adress: cjtech90@gmail.com

PD: About the language, version 0.3 was in spanglish because I had no time to translate it, but don't worry, version 0.4 is full English as well as full commented and well organised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 06:30PM by technik.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login