Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Future of Homebrew - DSi

Posted by yoshicircuit 
The Future of Homebrew - DSi
October 10, 2008 06:20PM
In the time of Spring, 2009, a new member of the DS family is scheduled for release in the UK and USA: The Nintendo DSi. This DS is barely smaller than the DS Lite, with barely larger screens. As a result of this sizing, the GBA slot has been removed from the DSi. Because of this, Nintendo is sill putting DS Lites on the market even after the DSi's release.

Although, probably the most noticeable feature of the DSi to a Homebrew user would probably be it's capability of storing an SD Card, and possibly using it to store game saves and such other features. (Go here for conference video, or here to see it in text.) This SD Car slot makes it obvious the possibility of Homebrew to be just as easily accessed as it is on the Wii. In fact, the DSi has been said to support "channels" similiar to those of the Wii's. It looks like hacking game saves and using them with various DS games to install a Homebrew Channel seems possible once again. Even if they have blocked this possibility, bushing has proved that their patches are no match against the power of hacking.

As the DS games have been known to hold save data themselves, it is not confirmed weather or not the SD Card will be capable of holding save data. However, the DSi has been said to be able to download DSi Ware (like that of WiiWare) from the DSi Shopping Channel. So it is evident that the DSi will be able to hold save data of some kind. Even if we were not able to hack game saves to make them install Homebrew, there seems to be various other features that use the SD Card as well. Watch the conference video above for more info.
Re: The Future of Homebrew - DSi
October 10, 2008 06:47PM
I've seen this thread before...
[forum.wiibrew.org]

lol :-)

but yes, it does hold some interesting possibilities, but we won't know for certain until it's released

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2008 06:48PM by whodares.
October 10, 2008 07:09PM
Ahh, so it happens again. It's not the first time I've been too late for a great idea. :P It happens to the best of us.
October 11, 2008 06:51PM
This one should be relatively easy to run homebrew on, given the SD port! We just need to find a hack and then we're off! Is it just me, or is the DS-i alot like the Wii? I bet it's just the wii but in DS casing! Either that, or it's CD-i :p
October 11, 2008 07:24PM
Hmm, the way I read it, it was just a "upgraded" DS. So I would still imagine the same 2 ARM processors running things, and you'd probably get further with the current DS Homebrew. It's all speculation though
October 11, 2008 07:27PM
Hmm... updated DS... sound familiar? *cough cough* wii/gamecube*cough cough*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login