Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Controler adapter on wii for emulators.

Posted by DrLucky 
Controler adapter on wii for emulators.
October 20, 2008 06:53PM
I have all sorts of emulators and roms working fine on the wii, so I have been looking for a way to make the experience more "authentic". I found these controller adapters which are made to plug into the GC controller ports so that an original NES or SNES controller could be used for Virtual Console or Wiiware games. This SHOULD also work for emulators with GC controller support right? Has anybody used anything like this?

[www.cliffracer.com]
or
[www.cliffracer.com]

I have also seen converters which plug into a USB (for computer emulators), Im sure these wouldn't work in the Wii's USB ports right out of the box, but could that be a feature implemented into a WiiHomebrew emulator?

Thanks,
Kris
Re: Controler adapter on wii for emulators.
October 20, 2008 09:53PM
Sure! All that they do is map button presses on the NES controller to presses on GC controllers! If you don't believe me, then plug it in and try playing a gamecube game! It works!
As for the USB thing, yes! That's totally possible! We already have emulators that run ROMs off of USB drives, so that should make USB controllers possible! On top of that, Guitar Fun uses the USB keyboard to Shred, so a USB controller is possible too!
October 20, 2008 10:04PM
strongfan
As for the USB thing, yes! That's totally possible! We already have emulators that run ROMs off of USB drives, so that should make USB controllers possible! On top of that, Guitar Fun uses the USB keyboard to Shred, so a USB controller is possible too!
Possible? Yes. But keep in mind that adding support for USB gamepads is going to be more complicated than flipping a switch and it magically working.

PS: If anyone actually knows if it's already been done (or if a portable library exists that would do such a thing) please do poke me about it :)
Otherwise, I'll be tackling that on my own at some point in the future.
October 20, 2008 10:08PM
AerialX
PS: If anyone actually knows if it's already been done (or if a portable library exists that would do such a thing) please do poke me about it :)

Ooooh, I'll be able to use my 15th Anniversary Street Fighter 2 pad (originally PSX) on my Wii! How cool!!!!
October 21, 2008 04:23PM
Well the USB adapters are much easier to come by, I hope some of the emulator porters can start working on adding the feature. The original computer emulators work with a USB controller of course!
November 10, 2008 05:44AM
Hello all, I bought a Dragon psx adapter to use on my Wii or Xbox (it has two ends. :)
One that plugs into a GC and one that plugs into the Xbox) It works perfectly when plugged into the Xbox and the same for the GC but when trying to put it in the GC port of the Wii nothing happens. :(
I tried it on all the current Emulators but they're not recognising it.

My question is if the adapter was designed to work on the GC, it should work with the Wii too...right?

Forgive my noobishness this is still early days for me. :)

Thanks
November 10, 2008 05:57AM
ploggy
Hello all, I bought a Dragon psx adapter to use on my Wii or Xbox (it has two ends. :)
One that plugs into a GC and one that plugs into the Xbox) It works perfectly when plugged into the Xbox and the same for the GC but when trying to put it in the GC port of the Wii nothing happens. :(
Does it get recognized by gamecube games on wii, or on VC games? or is it just not working with homebrew?
November 10, 2008 06:48AM
It doesn't get recognised by anything. (although when I plug the adapter into the xbox the psx analog light comes on but doesn't when pluged in the Wii)
November 10, 2008 07:23AM
is there a switch on it to switch between xbox and gamecube? mine has a switch and it world fine with both
November 10, 2008 09:41PM
Yes I have switched to GC and still nothing :(
November 10, 2008 09:56PM
AerialX
Possible? Yes. But keep in mind that adding support for USB gamepads is going to be more complicated than flipping a switch and it magically working.

so, did you ever "tackle that on your own"?
It would be nice if you could add that to the emu s.....

ploggy
It works perfectly when plugged into the Xbox and the same for the GC but when trying to put it in the GC port of the Wii nothing happens. :(

so, does this mean that the Wii's GC ports aren't exactly the same as the GC ones?
November 10, 2008 10:15PM
That must be the case, the analog light comes on when it's connected to the Xbox but not when it's connected to the Wii GC ports (It maybe a case of a tempremental adapter but I don't think so)
November 10, 2008 10:17PM
ploggy
That must be the case, the analog light comes on when it's connected to the Xbox but not when it's connected to the Wii GC ports (It maybe a case of a tempremental adapter but I don't think so)

does the light come on when plugged into a GC?
November 11, 2008 12:16AM
DrLucky
ploggy

No, not when plugged in the Wii :(
November 11, 2008 12:53AM
ploggy
DrLucky
ploggy

No, not when plugged in the Wii :(

but it does in the original GameCube?
November 11, 2008 09:30PM
I haven't got a GC handy, i'll have get my mate to bring his over :)
November 20, 2008 01:23AM
Ok, I tried the converter on my friends GC....no luck.

i'll use it on my xbox and buy a different one for Wii :)
November 26, 2008 12:47AM
Ok, I tried the converter on my friends GC....no luck.

i'll use it on my xbox and buy a different one for Wii :)

On further inspection I found out that one of the wires in the GC lead wasn't connected right so I cut off the end and put a new one on...and it worked :) YAY!!!!!

So, GC/PSX converters do work on the Wii, just be sure not to buy a cheap one like me :)

Thanks for your helpings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login