Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ehh, kinda new here

Posted by Tensorfr 
ehh, kinda new here
December 30, 2008 04:25PM
alright guys i guess you could say that im joining the homebrew community now... which should be fun
but ive got some questions, only problem is that i have 3.4U

so yeah i know that Beta 1.01 works with 3.4 but i dont feel safe with nintendo peaking over my shoulder and doing that automatic update crap so i want to downgrade, which ill ask later.

1. So i know how to install the homebrew channel with the TP hack and yada yada yada but whats the difference with talking to the guy infront of you or walking backwards after you load the saved game?
2. and after i install the homebrew channel, do i have to do the TP hack each time to install a new app or is the whole point of the homebrew channel to automatically recognize apps on sd card.
and if i dont need to do the tp hack to install apps, do i put them on the root of the SD card?

if i want to downgrade to 3.2U do i have to reinstall the homebrew channel after i downgrade?

i know there are a lot of questions, but i would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out here, thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 04:40PM by Tensorfr.
Re: ehh, kinda new here
December 30, 2008 04:29PM
No, downgrading is basically installing an older version of IOS over your existing IOS installs. It won't affect anything already installed on your Wii.

Edit:
Regarding the automatic updates, I'm not sure anybody has figured out how it's working. So it's possible the downgrade may not actually stop it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 04:31PM by whodares.
December 30, 2008 04:42PM
okay thanks :)
the other reason i wanted to downgrade was because i read somewhere that you cant load .WADs and some apps wont work on 3.4x, is this true?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 04:43PM by Tensorfr.
December 30, 2008 06:08PM
not allowed to talk about wads here, they are either pirated VC games, or custom wads with copyright nintendo code in them...
Starfall does not work on 3.4 and until recently, DVDx didn't work either, but that DVDx thing is in th works.

nope, the purpose of the HBC is to have a "hole" kept open so that apps can be run without doing the TPhack... none of the apps are actually installed, they just run off of the SD card (so they always have to be on there)... And the go on the card in a folder of that app's name in the main apps folder n the root of the card:
/apps/NAMEOFAPP/boot.dol

boot.dol IS the app.
December 30, 2008 06:14PM
Alright so I create folders in the apps folder to organize the apps I want to run on my wii because I have to rename them to boot.dol, correct?
December 30, 2008 06:22PM
right... but when you download the app from the Wiibrew site, they should already be organized correctly.

for some reason, the HBC only "sees" the apps if they are called boot.dol
December 30, 2008 06:22PM
Tensorfr
Alright so I create folders in the apps folder to organize the apps I want to run on my wii because I have to rename them to boot.dol, correct?

you can't just rename them, there is an elf to dol converter that will fix them for you.
[wiibrew.org]

I would also recommend getting the homebrew browser. It doesn't have all homebrew apps available, but it has a large selection (most of what's on wiibrew, from what I can tell), and it will download and set them up for you. Once you've downloaded a few, look around on your SD card and you'll see pretty easily how to set things up. This is how I learned. :)
[wiibrew.org]

Also, when apps are updated, it will show that you don't have the current version and you can update through it too! It's pretty dang handy!
December 30, 2008 06:24PM
true, but like AIO guides, it doesn't really teach you the process... like a new driver using cruise control before he can maintain the same speed himself.
so just learn some first. but the HBB is pretty awesome
December 30, 2008 06:32PM
Okay I got it now guys, thanks.
I'll check out the link and take a look

one more question thats been bugging me...
what's the difference of talking to the guy or walking backwards in the TP hack?
December 30, 2008 06:33PM
DrLucky
true, but like AIO guides, it doesn't really teach you the process... like a new driver using cruise control before he can maintain the same speed himself.

touche, I just found that being able to see examples made figuring out the rest easier, but then, I'm a very visual learner in general. :)
December 30, 2008 06:41PM
bg4m3r
DrLucky

touche, I just found that being able to see examples made figuring out the rest easier, but then, I'm a very visual learner in general. :)

everyone learns diferently... also, the HBB makes a mess of my SD card, there are files and folders everywhere!
Tensorfr
one more question thats been bugging me...
what's the difference of talking to the guy or walking backwards in the TP hack?

nope, no difference. Just 2 ways to crash the game.
December 30, 2008 07:08PM
Oh alright, was just curious I'll post again I'd I need anymore help
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login