Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blocking Network Updates via Router Settings

Posted by KnoWei 
Blocking Network Updates via Router Settings
January 02, 2009 07:10PM
Hi - new to WiiBrew Forum. Have used Independence Exploit on PS2 and Zelda TP Exploit looks similar. I'm pretty comfortable with what I've read in the Wiki and this forum on loading the exploit and installing and running HB apps from the SD card so I'm planning to do this later today or Saturday.

My Wii console is still at Menu v2.x and it is a U.S. console. My primary goal for using the TP exploit is to load the MPlayerWii-0.07 in order to stream DiVX movies from an SMB share on my home network to the Wii. Of course we'll continue to use the Wii for games.

Since this console is primarily used by the kids I want to reduce the risk for unwanted Menu and IOS updates. I've read the recent thread on Starfall vs. GeckoOS for dodging disk-based updates forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?21,6038. I like GeckoOS because it seems to be less (may we say non-?) permanent and appears that it might still even be maintained by its creator. I intend to use the "reboot with hooks" approach since we seldom unplug the Wii and it's on UPS for power.

I plan to use the AnyRegion to get my menu to v 3.2.

My question to Forum...
In addition to (or perhpas in lieu of) turning off WC24 it has occurred to me that I might be able to simply block the url of the update site using the parental controls in my router. Is the update URL granular enough that this will work without blocking access to other useful URLs? Has anyone sniffed out where exactly the Wii is going when it gets an update? If this works then potentially all other Wii internet activity can proceed without interference. What are your opinions on this approach?

Regards,
~KnoWei
Re: Blocking Network Updates via Router Settings
January 02, 2009 07:33PM
the auto update that you are referring to is only on the 3.4 Wiis because of the new EULA with it, so it isn't necessary...

since your Wii's firmware is that old, you probably won't be able to install it with out updating to 3.2 first... so instead of putting the Homebrew Installer dol in the root of your SD card during the Twilight hack, put in anyregion changer instead... also make sure it can connect to WC24 for that (it gets the 3.2 update from Nintendo's servers)

Then after using ARC to update, you will have to run the Twilight hack one last time to install the HomeBrewChannel.

P.S. thanks for doing some research too! Helps us help you a lot...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 07:34PM by DrLucky.
January 02, 2009 08:50PM
DrLucky
the auto update that you are referring to is only on the 3.4 Wiis because of the new EULA with it, so it isn't necessary...

Ah... yes of course. Thanks for the clarification. I had assumed that earlier IOSes might have been self checking for updates; sounds like perhaps not. I haven't previously activitated the network for the Wii as we had no real need for it.

DrLucky
since your Wii's firmware is that old, you probably won't be able to install it with out updating to 3.2 first...

Thanks for the tip. You've probably just saved me an hour or two of troubleshooting. I had wondered about this since my Menu did seem old relative to those being discussed on the forum. I was going to give it a try and then see what happened. Now I can follow the method you've outlined above.

DrLucky
P.S. thanks for doing some research too! Helps us help you a lot...
No problem. Hope I can contribute to the forum going forward.

~KnoWei
January 02, 2009 09:09PM
another way to update to 3.2 is to use a game, like Mario kart or SSBB
January 02, 2009 09:50PM
RE: Updating to 3.2 via a newer game disk. Yes, I had read that too but after quizing the kids we haven't come up with any candidates for loaner copies yet. And they already got enough stuff for Christmas. :-)

Fortunately we have a copy of Zelda TP on hand so I am close enough to get started.

~KnoWei
January 02, 2009 10:38PM
DrLucky
also make sure it can connect to WC24 for that (it gets the 3.2 update from Nintendo's servers)

An interesting little twist. I enabled wireless (for the first time ever) on my 2.2u Wii. I then began the sequence to enable WC24. The EULA it asks me to accept is dated November 17, 2008 and has the "Updates and Upgrades" section in it. This contains the clause that allows Nintendo to "...download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software..." as well as "..disable unauthorized or illegal software...", so I declined. Looks like I may be shopping for MarioKart or SSB this weekend afterall. :-)

~KnoWei
January 02, 2009 11:55PM
you can rent one pretty cheap... and I think some places have a "first game is free" policy...

but as long as your Wii can connect to the internet then anyregion changer should work...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login