Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wiiload with official sdk

Posted by villa_lad 
wiiload with official sdk
February 05, 2009 02:57PM
Hi

A friend of mine sent me the official Nintendo RVL SDK with codewarrior it compiles great but it doesnt seem to work with any of the loaders onto a Wii running HBC (wiiload, sendelf, wiitcploader etc). I've converted the demos to DOL using every elf to dol tool i can find and it still doesnt work. HBC either says its not a valid wii application or the screen goes blank and the wiiimote flashes and then goes dead ???

Is the wii loader tied into the Devkitpro SDK or do I need to configure the code some how?

Devkitpro is ace, but I want to hopefully develop a wiiware game .

I would really value any help you could give me.
cheers

villa_lad
p.s.
I have full documentation for the official sdk and can possibly help with some stuff
Re: wiiload with official sdk
February 05, 2009 03:11PM
most people around here already know about the leaked SDK and documentation

this is however illegal to use it (and obviously "make" WiiWare games) unless you are a licensed Nintendo developper and you paid for it ... do you ?

To developp a game, devkitpro and libogc are more than enough for you, using the official devkit will not provide many more advantage, and it seems that codewarrior compiled elf/dols are not using the exact same format as devkitPPC ones, so current loaders have no idea (and dont' need to) about this format

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 03:12PM by ekeeke.
February 05, 2009 03:37PM
For your information "ekeeke" I have every intention of becoming a licenced developer for wiiware,
but before I do I wanted to put together some demos using the official SDK.which I could then use to get funding or an officially licenced publisher to support me. I have a lot of contacts in the industry, but as i've been out of it a while I need to brush up on some coding.

Devkitpro is a good homebrew system but the majority of developers and publishers would not be interested in demos of a game if they were not compilled using the official sdk. Its the chicken and egg problem as usual.

I will just have to try and scrounge an NDEV system from somebody who has a spare one( I hope!)
February 05, 2009 03:57PM
well, I'm not denying your intention to be a licensed developper and I don't want to discourage you from that but I doubt that any company will be interested by a product or a demo developed with illegal tools.

If you want to demonstrate and experiment your coding & game designing skills, I would advise to stick with libogc & devkitpro: you have the same full access to hardware and (hopefully) the libogc functionnality is pretty similar than its "official" counterpart. The biggest advantage is that it can be easily tested on your own Wii and that it is completely legal (afaik) way to produce Wii executables.

The best example I have in mind is PeterM who was originally doing the Quake port on Gamecube with libogc and moved to be an official WiiWare developper...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2009 04:00PM by ekeeke.
February 05, 2009 08:06PM
What righteous planet do you live on? publishers and developers are interested in two things only does it work and will it make money! they dont give a damn about "illegal tools" if they like it they can have you added to their external developer base at the least.

Developing product on non-standard SDK's causes more problems than you could ever imagine. Even though DKP is a great bit of software the official SDK comes with full documentation and development tools which gives the programmer guidelines and confidence that the product is stable.

The strict testing and lotcheck followed by both NOJ,NOA and NOE to get the product to market is frightening and development using the official SDK is a must.

Another thing to be aware of is if you have a product worthy of submission to a publisher etc, supplying an elf file that is non standard to the official hardware dev kit, they would be unable to test and review it! ergo your stuffed (videos, jpg's and synopsies of product dont cut it any more)

As far as legality is concerned most software and operating systems are effectively loaned to the user for specific use outlined in the small print (very small print). therefore any attempt to hack, homebrew or what ever is illegal. reverse enginering is ok as long as you dont interfere with the normal operating of the OS, i.e. you have to write your own o.s. which access's the hardware only! no calls to the official o.s.

I have 40 plus games behind me on handheld consoles, and developed a hardware/software dev kit for the original Gameboy/GC which I sold to official developers.

I got out of the industry cos i was bored but the Wii interests me enough to get my hands dirty again!!!
February 05, 2009 09:19PM
villa_lad
What righteous planet do you live on? publishers and developers are interested in two things only does it work and will it make money! they dont give a damn about "illegal tools" if they like it they can have you added to their external developer base at the least.
I find that hard to believe (look at bobs game). I would think a publisher would want to stay as far away as possible from an illegally created program.

villa_lad
Developing product on non-standard SDK's causes more problems than you could ever imagine. Even though DKP is a great bit of software the official SDK comes with full documentation and development tools which gives the programmer guidelines and confidence that the product is stable.

The strict testing and lotcheck followed by both NOJ,NOA and NOE to get the product to market is frightening and development using the official SDK is a must.

Another thing to be aware of is if you have a product worthy of submission to a publisher etc, supplying an elf file that is non standard to the official hardware dev kit, they would be unable to test and review it! ergo your stuffed (videos, jpg's and synopsies of product dont cut it any more)
Well, since the HBC can only run devkitPRO dols I dont think homebrew is for you. Instead you should buy an official SDK and develop officially.

villa_lad
As far as legality is concerned most software and operating systems are effectively loaned to the user for specific use outlined in the small print (very small print). therefore any attempt to hack, homebrew or what ever is illegal. reverse enginering is ok as long as you dont interfere with the normal operating of the OS, i.e. you have to write your own o.s. which access's the hardware only! no calls to the official o.s. )
Believe it or not, the HBC is legal because all the neseccary files to install and run it are copyrighted by team twiizers.

villa_lad
I have 40 plus games behind me on handheld consoles, and developed a hardware/software dev kit for the original Gameboy/GC which I sold to official developers.

I got out of the industry cos i was bored but the Wii interests me enough to get my hands dirty again!!!
Thats very impressive. I'm already a fan of you :) I would love some names of titles you worked on.

Again, I'm sorry but homebrew clearly cant work with what you want to do. Besides, with a reputation like yours, you should have no problem getting yourself an official SDK and deveoping titles legally.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login