Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So, how do I access Wii Shop without updating.

Posted by juggleclown 
So, how do I access Wii Shop without updating.
March 28, 2009 12:19AM
Well, around the time of 3.3U (The version I still have) I discovered the Twilight Hack and have had the Homebrew Channel ever since. At the same time, while I do use the channel for emulators, I like to buy a few must-haves legitimately. (i.e. Such as Ys Book I & II, Super Metroid, and Herzog Zwei if they ever add it.), as well as the WiiWare games that sound interesting (So far, that's only really been Dr. Mario, Tetris, and Mega Man 9 for me).

But I digress. As it is, when I go to Wii Shop I am told that I must update to access it. This only happened to me once before, and in that case there was a patch on the front page of WiiBrew that was easy to apply, and granted access to the shop again without updating.

I hear there's now arcade emulation (FINALLY!) and games can be loaded off the SD card. Speaking of which, I've kept all my games on an SD Card for the convenience of not having to use the shop to redownload them (which isn't currently an option without updating now. :P).

Is anything in the works? Am I going to have to choose between updating my firmware or never accessing the Wii Shop again? Also, why doesn't the Wii have custom firmware like the PSP?

Well, you can answer all those things at your own leisure. My only important question is whether there's another patch to access Wii Shop, or anything among those lines.
Re: So, how do I access Wii Shop without updating.
March 28, 2009 12:39AM
Okay, there are tow main parts to your topic so I'll respond to each:

How can I access the Wii Shop Channel without updating?
ATM, you cant. Stuff may be in the works, but I haven't heard of any. Just update your Wii if you have to use the shop channel. Updating wont harm the HBC or DVDX.

Why doesn't the Wii have custom firmware?
It does. You just dont understand it. The Wii's firmware is made up of the system menu and a bunch of IOSs and some MIOSs. Modifying any of these (ex: installing preloader, installing a cIOS, installing a cMIOS, etc.) technically gives yourself custom firmware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login