Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Motion plus question, plus hello to all

Posted by hopelessoptimist 
Motion plus question, plus hello to all
July 02, 2009 11:13PM
Hi! Great to see a community like this exists... I've never experimented with my consoles before using homebrew apps, so I was hoping to get some help without getting flamed. I did a search of the forums and didn't see anything close to answering my question, so I figured I'd start my own thread, please if its been already covered somewhere else, point me in the right direction.

I bought a used wii recently, serial # is lower than Lu64. Thankfully (I think its good) my system menu is currently at 3.2. I installed the hbc with the bannerbomb method, haven't installed any other apps just yet, been looking at this site and have been overwhelmed, any good suggestions?

My main question pertains to the Wii motion plus... I'm really looking forward to using it, finally what I was promised when I bought a wii at launch (and had to sell a year later). Will I need to do a system update to use the peripheral? or will the games that use it load their own code? I know some games update when entered in the wii, is this going to be a problem with the homebrew channel?

Should I be worried about downloading stuff from nintendo, or just stick to programs like the homebrew browser to get the apps and updates I need? I'm not too concerned about the photo, mii, weather and whatever other channels there are now, but will I be able to use the virtual console?

If someone could give me a little info, as I don't have any friends that are into this stuff, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Re: Motion plus question, plus hello to all
July 03, 2009 12:01AM
you can use gecko os to launch games which require an update the first time, it'll install the necessary part of the update and leave the rest as it is, and you should then be able to launch from disc channel without it prompting you to update. and if you install preloader, you can use it to block updates.

EDIT: And to use the virtual console, download WiiSCU from WiiBrew.org and then run it in HBC. Select to install IOS 60, IOS 61 and to update the Shop Channel. Then you'll be able to access Shop Channel. This tool can also update other channels such as mii channel, photo channel etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 12:05AM by SifJar.
July 03, 2009 12:06AM
To add to SifJars post, gecko os can also be used to apply codes to your games, and you can boot import games with this app.

hopelessoptimist
I'm not too concerned about the photo, mii, weather and whatever other channels there are now, but will I be able to use the virtual console?

There's an app called WiiSCU that you can use to update all your channels to the latest versions, so you don't need to be worried about not being able to play your VC games. :D

Edit: Darn you, SifJar!! You posted your edit while i was typing mine!!! Lol, jk. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2009 12:07AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 03, 2009 12:24AM
Thanks a bunch guys. As far as the motion plus, I should be fine just buying one and checking it out?
July 03, 2009 12:32AM
Yeah, i guess so. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Just buy it and try it out. I would, except I'm not really interested in motion plus.....
July 03, 2009 12:41PM
Yeah, my brother bought Grand Slam Tennis which came with a MotionPlus and we still have no problems running homebrew. Although he did update to 3.4, but I wasn't on 3.2 anyway so it's no big deal I guess. Anyway, if you just install the updates with Gecko OS I think you should be fine. And you should be able to boot without updating at all through Gecko OS, but I doubt MotionPlus will work in that case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login