Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System files corrupted, new to wii and HBC

Posted by Khamles 
System files corrupted, new to wii and HBC
September 13, 2009 06:01PM
Hi, apologies if this has been visited, but it was slightly alarming when it occurred and I wanted to spell it all out.

I got a wii a couple days ago and installed homebrew 0.3.5 using bannerbomb v108. I did it through the channels section. After doing that however I kept getting messages regarding system file corruption and freezes pretty often. This tends to happen when I putter around the settings and looks at save files (not running any of the abovementioned items from the sd card tho). I thought it was a bad install maybe and uninstalled all of it, but it kept happening. I finally formatted the wii (losing only 2 miis and a couple saves from wii sport since I have no other games yet) and everything was fine and I was then unable to "break" it again. I tried installing the above once again and got the same corruption message again. So, I had a couple questions...

1. Can I actually harm my wii by playing around and trying to get HBC running in this way?
2. What's going wrong?
3. Is there another version of these programs that might work better on my particular wii?
4. Anything else I should keep in mind or worry about?
Re: System files corrupted, new to wii and HBC
September 13, 2009 06:09PM
Are you sure that you only installed the HBC, and not unknowingly installed something else?

Otherwise, I have no idea why your wii is doing this...Maybe hackmii isn't compatible with some of the newest wiis.
September 13, 2009 06:09PM
You probably left the Bannerbomb files on the SD or copied them onto the Wii.
September 13, 2009 06:12PM
1:Assuming that's all you're doing: No.

2:Your guess is as good as mine as long as you're not doing anything you haven't described in your post.

3:There are a handful of different bannerbomb versions on the main site ( [bannerbomb.qoid.us] ) you're welcome to try different ones. The latest version of the HackMi Installer is beta 3.

4:IIRC, this "corrupted system files warning" is nothing to worry about and doesn't mean you actually have corrupted system files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 06:13PM by Arikado.
September 13, 2009 06:28PM
Ah, I think metroid_maniac may have it. Thanks to everyone who's posted so far, that was a real quick set of replies.

After I installed BB I did leave it on the SD card. So this is a thing that ruins the whole operation then? I never did load it from SD, but did glance at it at looking under "save data" on the SD card, although I did say no to running the .elf file. Is just looking at it enough to screw it up then or having the copy on SD?
Assuming that's the issue, there's no problem trying the install again and then removing BB from the SD card?
September 13, 2009 06:31PM
Khamles
Assuming that's the issue, there's no problem trying the install again and then removing BB from the SD card?
Nope.
September 13, 2009 06:32PM
No problem. Just delete the "private" folder and "boot.elf" file from the SD once you've re-installed.
September 13, 2009 06:38PM
metroid_maniac
Just delete the "private" folder
Don't do that if you have saves or channels on your SD Card. Only delete the Bannerbomb content inside the private folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 06:43PM by Arikado.
September 13, 2009 06:39PM
Arikado
metroid_maniac
Just delete the "private" folder
Don't do that if you have saves ir channel on your SD Card. Only delete the Bannerbomb content inside the private folder.

Which is X:/private/title/atkn/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 06:39PM by metroid_maniac.
September 13, 2009 06:46PM
Alright, I tested it out and that seems to be the fix. I thought there shouldn't have been a problem with keeping the files on the SD card as long as I never ran them, but apparently even having them local and "glancing" at them was the problem. I've taken them off and have been unable to elicit a freeze/corruption message in the way that normally did it. Guess we'll chalk this up to Noob. Thanks all, I appreciate the advice.
September 14, 2009 04:45AM
This graduallly seemed to be right, as I read it. comex always had said that bannerbomb had a tendency to do weird things if you didn't elect to load a program.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login