Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to safely upgrade a 3.4U?

Posted by keybounce 
How to safely upgrade a 3.4U?
October 12, 2009 08:16PM
I have a 3.4U wii, with new boot1 and boot2. I have installed the Wii Fit plus disk, so I've got some additional updated IOS's, but it still claims 3.4U.

I have Bootmii IOS, HBC/HBB, and Dvdx installed (new 1.5 version). Nothing else.

If I upgrade through the official update, I'll get at least 4.2, and that's potentially restrictive. I still see that big "Do not upgrade" thread. And, apparently, 4.1 can be fully softmodded (so 3.2 is no longer the "best" version, am I right?).

What is the best way to update a 3.4U machine? (And why does this seem like a topic -- best way to update a machine -- that needs a sticky?)
Re: How to safely upgrade a 3.4U?
October 13, 2009 10:13PM
3.2 is still the best version because its IOSes contain the fakesigning bug whereas 3.3v2 and later started to correct that.
In 4.1 IOSes are updated and corrected (regarding the fakesigning bug), so you can't use trucha signing bug anymore, although it is soft moddable because you can reintroduce the trucha bug inside these new IOSes, but then they won't be official IOSes anymore but 'patched IOSes'. I personally dislike the idea of deleting official stuff and replacing it by 'patched' stuff.

Concerning your initial question.
Do you really need to update your Wii ? As for now, the great majority and maybe all of games (including recent ones like RB Beatles) just need 3.4 which is not the best version, but is still easily moddable.
If you just want to use the latest Wii Shop Channel, consider upgrading only the required files using softs like WiiSCU.
If you just want to have a recent System Menu (4.1 for ex), you might wanna use NUSD to fetch the required IOS + System Menu WAD and install it into your Wii.
But if you really want to upgrade the whole system, you can do it either the official way (and be on official 4.2 with all the problems along with it) or using a "custom updater", but using this kind of software isn't encouraged because it may harm/brick your Wii (as for me I wouldn't use it).
October 13, 2009 10:24PM
superbob
3.2 is still the best version because its IOSes contain the fakesigning bug whereas 3.3v2 and later started to correct that.
In 4.1 IOSes are updated and corrected (regarding the fakesigning bug), so you can't use trucha signing bug anymore, although it is soft moddable because you can reintroduce the trucha bug inside these new IOSes, but then they won't be official IOSes anymore but 'patched IOSes'. I personally dislike the idea of deleting official stuff and replacing it by 'patched' stuff.

3.2 is NOT the best version. System Menu version is pretty much the least important thing. ANY System Menu has the exact same capabilities if you have vulnerable IOS (i.e. ones with trucha bug). True, this may involve patched IOS, but you should only have one (IOS36) or maybe two or three at most (System Menu IOS for SD menu custom channels and copying copy protected saves, 37 for RawkSD/RawkTour if you use them). Most IOS should be fully updated official IOS. Provided you have trucha bug in IOS36, you can do virtually anything on any System Menu. Fact.
October 13, 2009 10:49PM
Safe and simple:

1)Install all of the latest versions of homebrew (hackmii installer 0.5)

2)Update via Nintendo

It's recommended not to do this, but you can and it will not harm DVDX, HBC, or BootMii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 10:49PM by Arikado.
October 14, 2009 06:29AM
I have boot2 v4. I cannot downgrade (as I understand, that's prevented by V4).

I need preloader or StartPatch. That requires 4.0 or 4.1.

The official upgrade kills all trucha bugs, as I understand it, and some homebrew needs it. I was just told that Preloader needs it.
October 14, 2009 09:35AM
keybounce
The official upgrade kills all trucha bugs, as I understand it, and some homebrew needs it. I was just told that Preloader needs it.
True, official upgrade kills trucha bugs.
But you can reintroduce it back in almost any IOS you want, as SifJar said, IOS36, System IOS and maybe a few other like IOS37 are often the IOSes you want to be patched. It's possible but it means - as I said before - that your IOSes are no longer official but 'patched' ones. If it doesn't bother you, do it and it will be enough for your needs (as I understood them).
October 15, 2009 04:05AM
Arikado
Safe and simple:

2)Update via Nintendo

It's recommended not to do this, but you can and it will not harm DVDX, HBC, or BootMii.

So if that is not recommended, what is recommended?

If my choice is 4.1, with homebrew, or 4.2, with homebrew, then what do I lose by having the 4.2 upgrade?

If 4.2 is not recommended, then what's lost/prevented?

If any IOS can be patched and fakesigned installed, then what was the point of the Nintendo updates?

If the ultimate goal is to be able to use preloader/startpatch, shopping channel, homebrew, and official disks without worrying about updates removing homebrew, then what's the best choice if 3.2 is not possible?
October 15, 2009 07:50PM
keybounce
Arikado
Safe and simple:

2)Update via Nintendo

If my choice is 4.1, with homebrew, or 4.2, with homebrew, then what do I lose by having the 4.2 upgrade?

If any IOS can be patched and fakesigned installed, then what was the point of the Nintendo updates?

If the ultimate goal is to be able to use preloader/startpatch, shopping channel, homebrew, and official disks without worrying about updates removing homebrew, then what's the best choice if 3.2 is not possible?
You can reach your "ultimate" goal with a 3.4 + WiiSCU used to update all your System Channels or NUSD to download and install channels and required IOS manually. In your case it would only mean using WiSCU or NUSD.
The point of Nintendo updates is to remove homebrew as it works at a particular moment without trashing the console too much (I'm not considering boot2 issues ...).
When 4.2 went out, ppl who updated were having all homebrew deleted and it was not re-installable - at this particular moment. But Team Twiizer and Comex manage to counterattack this update and then homebrew would be re-installable again. The only way for nintendo to totally banish hombrew would be to correct all the current and to-be-discovered hacks. This wouldn't be easy ...

EDIT: You can also use Dop-IOS MOD to update your Channels/IOSes, it may be a better solution...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2009 08:36PM by superbob.
October 16, 2009 09:48PM
keybounce
Arikado
Safe and simple:

2)Update via Nintendo

In short: It's recommended to just stay on your current firmware and never update. Most people don't consider that a realistic solution though, so go ahead and update if you really want to. There's no loss AFAIK that can't be recovered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login