Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Shared Network Drive?

Posted by MiddleMan 
Wii Shared Network Drive?
July 13, 2009 08:27PM
Is there any homebrew out there that can use Wi-Fi to turn the wii into a network drive, that you can connect to in windows or whatever. It would be very handy, now that the homebrew channel supports usb, to be able to run this then type in \\wii\usb on my pc to update things. If there's nothing out there already then i think this would be a good idea for someone who knows how. i wish i could get my head around it.

Middle-Man
Re: Wii Shared Network Drive?
July 13, 2009 08:46PM
What about FTPii?
July 13, 2009 08:49PM
Indeed. I believe there is a build with USB support, but not 100% sure. Certainly you can access the SD card remotely.
July 13, 2009 11:49PM
Thanks! I've tried this out and it does exactly what i want. however I'm sure network drives would be quicker than ftp. you'd get more info on files and folders and could map network drives. it does what i want though so cheers.
July 14, 2009 12:36PM
Having now used FTPii for a bit now i think its great for small files and updating homebrew etc. but on bigger files it takes forever and crashes half way through more often than not. it would be nice to copy video files over to my usb drive without unplugging anything, but thats still the better option. I really think that making the wii into a NAS drive is the way.
July 14, 2009 07:39PM
I doubt the Wii could handle much better transfer speeds, certainly not those required for proper NAS. Certainly not over wireless. Perhaps if you got the USB LAN Adapter and connected the Wii with a Ethernet cable to your network it'd be faster and more stable, but I'm not sure. I doubt there will ever be another option that is really viable, besides unplugging USB hard drive and plugging into computer. However, for the video files you mentioned, one possibility would be to keep them on the computer and use SMB to stream them to the Wii in MPlayer CE.
February 08, 2010 12:16AM
I also search for a solution to access a hdd attached on the wii through WiFi to copy XVID on it and the watch it with mplayerCE.

How does this work with FTPii? (I can´t install it at the moment...so I´m asking)

You install your PC as a FTP server, or what!?
February 08, 2010 09:31PM
Your Wii acts as an FTP server, you install an FTP client on your computer (for Windows I advise FileZilla), login to your Wii using it, then transfer the files through it.
February 09, 2010 03:44AM
At least XP+ versions of Windows Explorer have a built in FTP client; I find it adequate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2010 03:44AM by WikiFSX.
February 09, 2010 08:10PM
Meh. I can't use Windows Explorer, crashes my computer anytime I open a window of it. Have to use an alternative file explorer. I'd say FileZilla is a better interface for prolonged usage. If you were only going to use it once or twice, sure just use Windows Explorer. But if you're going to use it a lot, I'd advise getting a decent, dedicated FTP client e.g. FileZilla.
February 12, 2010 06:19PM
Ok I have it now working.

Pff...an extra FTP application. Thats antiquated. ;-)
I use Total Command for everything. Also there is an excellent Addon for Firefox called FireFTP.

Yes its really slow. I presume it would be much faster to directly attach an ethernet cable to it.
February 12, 2010 06:31PM
It probably would be faster with a wired connection, yeah.
February 12, 2010 10:07PM
someone tested the speed with the "USB ethernet adapter"?

something like this!
February 19, 2010 11:04PM
I have a ethernet usb connection and it is not very fast. Also around 220 kb/s. This could be faster...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login