Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yet another updating question

Posted by Slusho 
Yet another updating question
April 03, 2010 01:03AM
I know this is asked all the time, but I just want to understand completely. I have 4.0U. If I update the normal way, will it affect the homebrew channel or anything homebrew related? Thanks.

Also, wiibrew says "WiiBrew recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo.
However, if you have updated or wish to update, you can use the latest version of the HackMii Installer to regain full functionality." So does this mean 4.2 or whatever the newest version is doesn't block hacking so I could just update and reinstall?

And would it be against the rules if I asked if it affected IOSs? I'm not sure what they are or if I have them. Kinda new to this.

And would BootMii be affected?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 01:11AM by Slusho.
Re: Yet another updating question
April 03, 2010 01:10AM
There is absolutely no benefit to updating, but it doesn't really matter if you do anyway. If you have the latest version (1.0.6) of the homebrew channel, it won't be deleted. If you have Bootmii installed as boot2, it will be removed, but you can reinstall it.

The update updates or stubs all IOSes, but that doesn't really make much difference. If you have cIOS or any patched IOSes, they will be replaced with stubs or simply updated with unpatched versions. This is not a problem.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 01:14AM by jbc007.
April 03, 2010 01:25AM
Well the reason I want to update is because I just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy and it wants it to update. There's no way of getting around that is there?
April 03, 2010 01:48AM
Slusho
Well the reason I want to update is because I just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy and it wants it to update. There's no way of getting around that is there?
You could launch the game through gecko os if you wanted to, but it would be easier to just update.
April 03, 2010 02:45AM
So just so we're clear, those messages Nintendo pops up warning people with hacked Wiis is just nonsense?
April 03, 2010 03:31AM
Slusho
So just so we're clear, those messages Nintendo pops up warning people with hacked Wiis is just nonsense?
No. At the time, what Nintendo said was true. But since the Title ID for the HBC has changed, the "removal of third party software" is bogus.
April 03, 2010 06:15AM
Ok thanks everyone. For now I'll use Gecko OS but I may update.
April 03, 2010 06:25AM
Slusho
Ok thanks everyone. For now I'll use Gecko OS but I may update.
May I ask why?
April 03, 2010 03:46PM
Install the update. There is NO good reason not to install the update. I can assure you first hand that Metroid Prime Tilogy doesn't have a dangerous update.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login