Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Checking the real serial number of your Wii mobo

Posted by Aobx 
Checking the real serial number of your Wii mobo
June 17, 2010 02:30AM
Someone was telling me that his LU40 Wii isn't capable of installing Bootmii/boot2. Pretty strange, since mine has an higher serial number and Bootmii/boot2 installation went fine. I thought about his Wii being refurbished, something gone wrong with its previous mobo and then it was changed. In that case, since you can't entirely trust what the console's carcass tells you, is there any reliable method to check the real serial number within the mobo?

I've read about someone getting NAND dumps with Bootmii or FTPii and doing some confusing stuff to check all the information I ask for. It was around 2008, so I wonder if there isn't a better method out there. It would be pretty reassuring if you have some way to check the serial number and region of your Wii.
Re: Checking the real serial number of your Wii mobo
June 17, 2010 12:09PM
rip it open? XD
June 17, 2010 06:31PM
But I've never seen the serial number on the mobo. I don't know how to exactly express myself, I'd just want to know if there is a reliable way to check the real serial number your Wii has, in a case the mobo has been changed but the carcass hasn't.
June 17, 2010 07:35PM
Oh, I figured the serial would be on the actual mobo...

Would the date code on the mobo not be enough?

EDIT: For example, in the following pic:

(taken from : [hackmii.com])

The code on the Hollywood processor shows it was manufactured in the 32nd week of 2006 (“0632?) and the Broadway chip was made in the 31st week (“0631?)

Is that good enough, or do you need something more?

Also note that there are newer revisions of both Hollywood and Broadway, listed in the article I linked to. Perhaps this can help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 07:39PM by SifJar.
June 17, 2010 08:30PM
Never happened to me that information. I think that should settle when a person's Wii was made. Thanks for answering and showing me that article, there's more information there.
June 17, 2010 11:26PM
I wish I could tell you some software based method to find this information without opening the Wii, but I'm not sure there is one. The best you could do is get the boot1 version I think.
June 18, 2010 12:14AM
Don't worry about that. We still have that margin of "some time around 2008" to check if a Wii can have the bugged boot1. It's not perfect, but it helps.
June 18, 2010 12:30AM
Well with software you can check for sure the boot1 version (HackMii Installer does it), without having to guess based on a rough time. You just can't get actual hardware revisions etc. AFAIK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login