Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiSCU channel updating

Posted by JoniTapani 
WiiSCU channel updating
July 25, 2010 01:55PM
Hi all, i have a question about WiiSCU. I think i understand the installing process for shop channel without having to update to 4.3. So, if i update my shop channel using WiiSCU, and later decide to update to 4.3, will the 4.3 update brick my Wii when it finds that the newest version of shop channel is already present? I mean, i install the new shop channel with WiiSCU, and wwhen the update 4.3 comes to games i want to play, i need to update. Will it brick if i already have the newest shop channel whn i update? My question might be confusing, but i hope you can help.
Re: WiiSCU channel updating
July 25, 2010 08:49PM
No it will not brick. And FYI, it'll always be possible to play games without updating, just run them via Gecko OS, and if necessary, install the game's IOS (for older games, Gecko OS can do this. For newer ones, it'll tell you what IOS is needed if its missing, but can't install it, you need to manually install it with something like dop-Mii).
July 25, 2010 08:58PM
Ok. So to install IOS:es i need dop-mii or WAD manager..?
July 25, 2010 10:58PM
Dop-Mii is better, since it gives you so many warnings and information about the IOS you're installing. It's safer and easier to use.

SifJar, why does Gecko OS have trouble installing the game IOS from newer discs? Some new protection?
July 25, 2010 11:10PM
Yeah, it can't rip the update off newer discs for some reason. The only game I know of for sure is NSMB, but I assume other new games also cause problems. Possibly something to do with the "BCE protection" that was discussed when NSMB was released.
July 25, 2010 11:13PM
The only way around this is through NUS? Or it can still be done with WUFE?
July 26, 2010 04:52AM
WUFE is older than Gecko OS; therefore, it almost certainly would not work. Although it probably is possible to rip the update WADs from newer discs (after all, pirates don't seem to have an issue with ripping the complete games), this most likely would not be supported here as it involves DRM circumvention, which violates the DMCA.
July 26, 2010 06:57AM
NUS is the only legal way, then. I had researched something similar to what you said, jbc. It's possible and simple to do, but I prefer not to talk about this, since you'd need to dip your fingers in pirate waters.
July 26, 2010 03:43PM
What is NUS? (sorry for stupid question)
So i cant use dop-mii?
And one thing more - StartPatch. Could someone tell me what program i use to install the needed cIOS/IOS:es, and where to download them. And the same thing, if i patch my wii with StartPatch, will an update brick it if i for some stupid reason (lol), want to update?
July 26, 2010 04:33PM
NUS: Nintendo Update Servers

This is were stuff like dop-Mii and WiiSCU (and the System Menu's update function) download updates. You can use dop-Mii.

As for StartPatch, load dop-Mii and choose "Install an IOS that accepts fake signatures" at the first menu. Then load StartPatch and choose to run on IOS36. And no, an update won't brick, it will just remove the patches.
July 26, 2010 04:40PM
NUS stands for Nintendo Update Servers. The virtual place where Nintendo keeps all its upgradable files for its current consoles. IOSes are present on NUS. Apps that work with these files generally have the option to download the file directly from NUS (Dop-Mii does that). If your Wii isn't connected to the Internet, you could use the (Microsoft) Windows application NUS Downloader (reportedly to work also on Linux, through WINE) to get the files from NUS directly to your computer. Then, you put these files as wads in the root of your SD card, and an app like Dop-Mii will recognize it. As you can see, there's nothing against you using Dop-Mii.

I prefer suggesting Priiloader over StartPatch. The first's compatibility is simpler (one version for all system menus, while StartPatch needs a specific one for each firmware), easier to uninstall, has most of StartPatch hacks/patches (and some others) and also provides some brick protection.

The only supported cIOS is the one installed in slot 202 (thus most known as "cIOS 202", not an entirely correct naming, but a way to refer to it). It is used to provide better usb 2.0 compatibility and performance with usb peripherals, such as HDDs, when using video players, emulators and some other apps. You can install a pretty good cIOS 202 downloading its installer from WiiMC official website. You must have a fakesigned IOS to do (Dop-Mii can do it for you).
July 26, 2010 07:32PM
Ok. And, i have BootMii, so i will not take PriiLoader. But btw, the wiibrew wiki said i need something called cIOS 38 rev 12?
Do i need it? My system menu is 4.2.
July 26, 2010 08:17PM
The only cIOS called that way is a piracy-related one. I highly doubt Wiibrew would be supporting that. In which part of Wiibrew you read that?

Anyway, you don't need it. Also, Priiloader can coexist with Bootmii without problems.
July 26, 2010 08:54PM
On system menu 4.2, you need cIOS 249 to install StartPatch. This cIOS should work fine.
July 26, 2010 09:03PM
jbc: No, you don't. Recent versions added the ability to choose which IOS to use. Simply do as I said before, run dop-Mii, choose "Install an IOS that accepts fake signatures" and then run StartPatch and choose to use IOS36.
July 26, 2010 09:26PM
Oh, I just assumed the information on the wiki page was up to date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 09:26PM by jbc007.
July 26, 2010 09:34PM
Probably not :P
July 26, 2010 09:47PM
Ok. Thanks.
July 27, 2010 09:19AM
Btw, now that the new Hackmii installer has come, i have updated to 4.3. And, yes, the shop channel works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login