Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temporarily change region?

Posted by Mikegrann 
Temporarily change region?
June 06, 2010 06:35PM
I'm relatively new to this more advanced side of wii homebrew. I've been doing simple things so far and I have the homebrew channel installed with Gecko OS for loading games (if that matters). Try to keep my lack of experience in mind when answering, please.

Now to the point. I have a friend online from a different region; I'm in NTSC and he's in PAL. I want to play region-locked Monster Hunter Tri with him online. I'm relatively certain this is possible if I can load a PAL game somehow. However, my game is NTSC, and I'd rather not change it permanently. I was wondering if there was any way to use homebrew apps to change the region it is loaded as. I know there is region free loading, which is what I do with GeckoOS, but that still restricts me to NTSC servers as far as I can tell.

I'd also like it to be within the constraints of this forum, please. I'm not looking to burn an illegal version of the game in PAL, just to load my current game in PAL servers. I'm aware there may be no way to do this within these constraints, but I'm new to this and hours of research have led to no definite answer. I'd like a "yes, it can be done and this is how" or a "no, it's impossible."

My other idea is using AnyRegion Changer or something similar to change my wii region, then load the game in Gecko OS as region free, which should give the requested result(?). However, I generally avoid making NAND changes, especially as this one says it is permanent. I have NTSC friends and games too, and want my wii as NTSC most of the time unless I choose to change to PAL to play with someone.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd just like a definitive answer so I know if this is even possible. Thanks so much for your help!
Re: Temporarily change region?
June 06, 2010 08:10PM
No matter what you do, your game will still be NTSC, region free will only let it load on any console. If the game doesn't support cross-region play, you can't make it AFAIK. Unless you find someway to change the server it connects to or something, perhaps via an Ocarina code (dunno if this is possible). But many games DO allow cross-region play AFAIK, I'm fairly sure Mario Kart does for example.
June 06, 2010 10:11PM
Well, thanks for the reply. I was hopeful that AnyRegion could do it.

I looked around for an Ocarina code, but there was nothing of that type. Any idea where I could find one, or who I could request it from?
June 06, 2010 11:16PM
Not really. I doubt there is one in existence, and I don't know how hard it would be to make. Are you 100% sure you cannot play cross-region anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2010 11:16PM by SifJar.
June 07, 2010 01:09AM
Nope, MH3 is region-locked. I suppose it's doable, but I don't know exactly how to do it or have the equipment to do it. I suppose it would consist of finding the code to connect to NTSC servers, do the same with PAL, and switch them out. Maybe I can get someone from WiiRD to help. Know anybody?
June 07, 2010 02:42AM
If you used an ocarina code to play an NTSC game on the PAL servers, you may be banned from playing online. If cross region play is not possible, you will need to get the PAL game.
June 07, 2010 06:06AM
Yeah, if you get the PAL version, you would be able to use Gecko to play it on your NTSC Wii and it would connect to your friend's game.
June 07, 2010 10:36AM
I'd say it is highly likely that if you find a way to connect to PAL server from an NTSC game, you will get banned I'm afraid.
June 07, 2010 03:36PM
I agree, especially because Monster Hunter is on Capcom's servers, and they are much better and more strict on their servers. Thanks anyways guys.
August 07, 2010 08:43PM
It is two month old, but anway:

If u want to play with your friend in PAL Region (without too much effort), either he needs a ntsc version of the game, or you need a pal version of the game. You will need to start a new savegame, beacause you cannot use PAL savegame on NTSC version and vice-versa.

I know from a friend, the NTSC Version works from europe.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login