Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to update HBC/HBB via SD &

Posted by cptgarfieldmc 
How to update HBC/HBB via SD &
August 30, 2010 12:33PM
Could anyone please help a newbie on this? My Wii has the following: System Menu 3.3E, HBB v.0.3.8, HBC v.1.0.3, IOS37 v.8.22. I don't intend to update to System Menu 4.3 in order to play Your Shape & Racket Sports, so I'm counting on installing IOS58 via HBC v.1.0.8.

My main issue is how can I update into HBB v.1.0.8 using a PC-downloaded installer & transfering it to the SD (without affecting several downloaded games/applications in the card already)? The automatic update via HBC always fail (even after using a wired LAN connection), so I'm wondering if I can just both remove the HBC v.1.0.3 & upload the HBC v.1.0.8 via PC?

I also noticed that my HBB won't load after updating to v.0.3.8 - it always revert me back to the HBC after "failing to receive Homebrew List" (fwrite error [1] not owner). I know this might be due to an "incomplete" update as the download froze around 20% of the procedure & I just turned the unit off thinking that it will revert still to its previous version/condition. Is this similar to a "failpack", & if it was, how can I remove it?

If I need a fresh install using a new SD card to have the HBC v.1.0.8 & HBB v.0.3.8, can I be able to transfer the downloaded games/applications from the previous SD card that had the HBC v.1.0.3?

Thanks for any input & solutions you can share with me.
Re: How to update HBC/HBB via SD &
August 30, 2010 01:31PM
Just put the HackMii Installer at sd:/apps/hackmii_installer/boot.elf and run it via HBC. No apps will be affected.

As for HBB, just redownload it from [www.codemii.com] and put it on the SD card.

Finally, I don't know if IOS58 is the IOS you need to install for that game. Your Wii has many IOS, and different games use different ones. You need to find the right IOS for that game. Boot it with Gecko OS and it'll tell you if you're missing the right IOS, and offer to install it for you. It may not be possible for Gecko OS to install the IOS, but it will definitely inform you of the correct IOS to install. Install this IOS manually (download it with NUSD and install with WadImport), and then boot the game with Gecko OS to play without updating.
August 30, 2010 05:47PM
SifJar already said everything you need. However, keep this into consideration:

cptgarfieldmc
My main issue is how can I update into HBB v.1.0.8 using a PC-downloaded installer & transfering it to the SD (without affecting several downloaded games/applications in the card already)? The automatic update via HBC always fail (even after using a wired LAN connection), so I'm wondering if I can just both remove the HBC v.1.0.3 & upload the HBC v.1.0.8 via PC?

You do not need to uninstall HBC 1.0.3, just install 1.0.8 above it. Get the latest version of HackMii installer here [www.bootmii.org] and place boot.elf in a folder inside sd:\apps\ as SifJar said.

cptgarfieldmc
If I need a fresh install using a new SD card to have the HBC v.1.0.8 & HBB v.0.3.8, can I be able to transfer the downloaded games/applications from the previous SD card that had the HBC v.1.0.3?

You do not need to erase your card nor any application from it. Just copy the installer to the card and run it from your current HBC as with any other application. All your other apps in the card will appear in the new HBC after the update. After doing so, you can (if you want) delete the installer from your card :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 05:47PM by Axel.
August 31, 2010 11:04AM
SifJar & Axel,

Thanks for all your advice & I'll implement them shortly. I did try using Gecko OS to load the games, & that's when it indicated to me that I need to install the IOS58. But in order to install the IOS58, I need to update HBC to v.1.0.8 (where I got stuck in the first place - please refer also to [www.wiibrew.org]).

SifJar:
Install this IOS manually (download it with NUSD and install with WadImport), and then boot the game with Gecko OS to play without updating

I already downloaded to my PC the IOS58 installer - ready to install it to the SD once having the HBC update. But do I still need use the NUSD/WadImport/Gecko OS to play the games?

Thanks again guys.
August 31, 2010 04:29PM
To SifJar & Axel,

Thanks to your input, I was able to breathe a sigh of relief now that I have successfully updated to HBC v.1.0.8 without affecting the rest of the stuffs in my SD. I haven't installed the HBC v.0.3.9 update yet as I'm not sure if manually replacing the OLD homebrew_browser folder in the apps folder with a NEW homebrew_browser will affect the apps in the SD (as the OLD folder has several lists that are linked with the apps). Any ideas?

To Tantric &/or anybody

I'm trying to use the IOS58 installer but have a message: Unable to initialize network (Error #:-116). Would this be due to my Wii having a problem with HBB or is due to the lag in my internet connection (the Wii is currently connected to my wireless router)?

Thanks again.
August 31, 2010 04:31PM
Just running the IOS58 installer will be fine for IOS58, I wasn't sure if it was IOS58 you needed. Other IOS don't have installers, so must be done manually as I mentioned. But running the IOS58 installer will work fine. Once you have done that, you can load the game via Gecko OS (won't work via System Menu).

FYI, you don't need to update HBC to install IOS58, and it'd be better if you installed it BEFORE updating, so HBC will use IOS58 after you update.
August 31, 2010 04:38PM
IOS58 installer does NOT contain the IOS itself inside.

What it does is to connect via internet to the nintendo update servers (NUS) and download the IOS58, and then it installs it to your Wii.

It definitely has something to do with your internet connection. Check if your Wii is connecting fine to it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login