Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Disc Channel Update Blocker (Resolved, new question at hand)

Posted by Wii404 
Wii Disc Channel Update Blocker (Resolved, new question at hand)
December 06, 2010 01:36AM
Recently, my Wii Disc Channel has been giving me the Wii System Update message. I'm not updating my firmware, due to the fact that I might get bricked because it's softmodded, and I'm not sure if an exploit for the newest firmware is out yet, considering it's not on the wiki. (Problem resolved. Turned out not to be a firmware update, but an IOS Fix.)

I'm currently on Wii Firmware 4.3U, and have WiiConnect24 turned off. It's also a family Wii, so I can't format it, or anything like that.

Also the firmware update isn't embedded on a disk. It's just a Wii System Update icon in the Disc Channel, making it unusable.

I can't install Priiloader or Preloader, with the fact that I had a hard enough time showing my family how to use Bootmii (Boot2).

Also, StartPatch is loading, and I select IOS 250 to install it (with it being the most useful and stable for homebrew), and it gives me an Identify Error -1029. (I tried using the System Menu IOS 80 for it. However, it gave me Identify Error -1017, if I remember correctly. Any fixes?)
I found a fix for it, but every time I try to get it, Megaupload hits me with a popup. (And it's only when I press the download button on that page. It's never happened otherwise.) I'm aware that IOS 250 isn't the best for the patches. Do I have to install it onto the IOS the Wii System Menu is using? (I had forgotten it was a CIOS, explaining why it didn't work, I guess. However, that doesn't explain another IOS not working. No furthur discussion of IOS 250 will be held in this thread.)

Basically, I have two questions- How do I block System Updates directly from the Disc Channel, (Resolved) and which IOS should I select for StartPatch's patches? (And before you say "Make sure StartPatch is the right version", I did. And it is. Also checked for IOS 80.)

Also, WiiSCU fails on me, but Pimp My Wii works. However, it holds no solution for me, being it doesn't have a disc channel updater. (I've been informed that Pimp My Wii is unsupported. I know why WiiSCU wasn't working, as well.)

I'd like if this could be resolved fast, because I'm not looking forward to a bricked Wii when someone presses the Disc Channel to update. (Fast support is no longer needed, but I'd like to be able to know why StartPatch is giving me errors.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 12:04AM by Wii404.
Re: Wii Disc Channel Update Blocker
December 06, 2010 04:23AM
The Disc Channel isn't a [real] channel. The update message comes up because you must have downgraded your IOSes. Just update with the disc and you'll be fine.
Also, "Pimp My Wii" is a horrible "tool" and is not supported by these forums. IOS patching is also not supported.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 04:24AM by bg4545.
December 06, 2010 11:55PM
Thank you for clarifying. Also, I just recently updated through the Disc Channel, and the Wii is still working fine. The Homebrew Channel is still there, as well as my Homebrew applications. So I think I'm satisfied.
I also think I know why WiiSCU wasn't working. I had picked a version of the Wii Shop Channel which wasn't released.
December 14, 2010 09:18PM
bg4545
Just update with the disc and you'll be fine.

I am in a very similar situation. I currently opperate with:

-A 4.1 U Wii.
-The latest version of HBC (Using SmashStack, and Hackmii V 0.8).
-And a Wiikey CHIP 1.9.

The only homebrew I use is WadInstaller 1.7 for VirtualConsole games. I would love to play NSMBW, which has the 4.2 UPDATE, but I do not know if a system update will brick my Wii.

-Does 4.2 still destroy modded Wii??
-Will 4.2 delete my HBC (can re-install)?? Should I just temporarily uninstall HBC (can re-install)??
-Will 4.2 screw up my installed VC Channels??
-Will 4.2 brick me because of my CHIP??

-Will finally growing a pair and updating my system work perfectly well and make everybody super happy??

Any input you could give would be great.
December 14, 2010 10:00PM
MJagger
The only homebrew I use is WadInstaller 1.7 for VirtualConsole games.
Get out if here pirate. The update is safe for the homebrew channel. We don't care about your illegal games.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.