Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cleaning up a previously unscrupulous Wii

Posted by dakana 
Cleaning up a previously unscrupulous Wii
January 06, 2011 08:59AM
My roommate owns a Wii that he used to play backed up games on. He's lost all interest in it and told me that I could do with it whatever I wanted. What I want to do is remove all traces of the backup loaders and things like that, and have a clean Wii with the addition of the Homebrew Channel.

He told me he doesn't really remember what he did to install the Homebrew Channel and enable the backup loaders, just that he followed a guide he found online. Basically, what I'd like to do is identify and remove everything that isn't from Nintendo, or used by the Homebrew Channel. The problem is that I'm flying blind: I don't know what's been done to the system.

When I got it, it had System Menu 4.2U, Homebrew Channel, and then three channels relating to backups, which I deleted using the Data Management page in the Wii menu. I also updated the Shopping Channel and IOS56 while I was in there; afterwards, when I tried to go into the Shopping Channel, I got an Error #02.

I first asked in IRC about cleaning up the Wii, and was told I should use DOP-Mii to scan, and then post the scan results. I loaded DOP-Mii from my SD card using the Homebrew Channel, then tried to run a SysCheck. It said that AHBPROT was available. When I hit A (to use AHBPROT), it just took me back to the DOP-Mii menu. When I hit B (proceed with my selection [the SysCheck]), it said that there were 32 IOSes safe to test. It went through ISO250 to IOS38, then prompted me to hit A to continue or HOME to return to the loader. I hit A. It then continued from IOS37, and then reached IOS28. When it hit IOS28, it stopped, and a small green line appeared underneath the version column. It stopped responding to all button presses on the Wii remote, and the Wii remote acts as if the Wii is off (LEDs are off, and when a button is pressed, all four blink repeatedly and then turn off again.)

I'm not really sure how to proceed. Honestly, if there is a way to just completely nuke everything on the Wii, I'd be willing to do that -- all of the save games can be backed up on to the SD card, and he never bought anything on the shopping channel. If there's a way to reset everything to absolutely bone-stock, I would be OK with doing that and then re-installing the Homebrew Channel and updating everything from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2011 09:04AM by dakana.
Re: Cleaning up a previously unscrupulous Wii
January 06, 2011 11:26PM
Well if BootMii/boot2 is installed, you could run Comex's NAND Formatter, which will wipe EVERYTHING on NAND, and install whatever WADs you place on the SD card (EULA channel, System Menu, System Menu IOS, Region Select Channel, all obtained with NUS Downloader).

My advice if you want to do this is to backup all saves first, then install System Menu 4.2 and IOS70 (its System Menu IOS), the EULA channel and the Region Select channel (i.e. the bare minimum) with the NAND Formatter, then boot up the Wii, use bannerbomb to install HBC via the HackMii Installer, then do an official update, so you will have all IOS up to date and all channels should get installed and work properly.

Then restore your saves and you're good to go.

But note that this will wipe EVERYTHING on your Wii, make sure you take a NAND dump before hand, and ONLY do this if you have BootMii/boot2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login