Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HBC won't load USB HDD

Posted by john48159 
HBC won't load USB HDD
January 13, 2011 04:15AM
I want to preface this post with the statement that this has nothing to do with USB loaders.

I have a soft-modded 4.3U with HBC 1.0.8 installed. I can run apps aplenty off of my SD card. However, I'm starting to acquire so many apps that they will soon exceed my 2GB SD limit; thus I want to use my USB HDD. That drive is connected to the correct USB slot and is compatible with some homebrew. It has a formatted FAT32 partition as the first partition, and it is set to active, yet the "USB Device" button is greyed out in HBC. If I plug in my FAT32 formatted USB flash drive instead, the "USB Device" button is usable and the flash drive apps work fine. I've tried researching this problem and the only solution I've come upon is to try an earlier version of HBC (1.0.6 perhaps), but I can't find it online any more. Can anyone confirm whether I need this, whether I should try waiting until a working version comes out, or if I should try something completely different?
Re: HBC won't load USB HDD
January 14, 2011 02:36AM
Maybe you should mention the make and model of the non-working drive...
January 14, 2011 03:54AM
I believe the make and model of the hard drive plays little to no role as I do have homebrew that can take full advantage of its capabilities. That and I read that HBC 1.0.8 has trouble with USB HDDs. But since you asked, I'll go ahead and post that information.

I have a WDC WD7500AADS-32L5B 750GB HDD with a SATA to USB 2.0 AZiO E377S31 External Enclosure. I have a 10GB FAT32 partition first on the drive, marked as active. The remaining space is formatted NTFS.
January 14, 2011 06:14AM
HBC has trouble with some USB HDDs, I can't fix it if people don't tell me what they are. I'm guessing the homebrew apps that do work with it are the type of programs that aren't supported here, since they use a completely different USB driver.
January 14, 2011 06:54AM
Ignore that last part, what apps do work with your HDD? Because depending on what you have installed and when you've installed it, it may be an easy fix. Did you install the HBC on 4.3 or did you install it first then update?
January 14, 2011 02:29PM
I have to go to work in a few minutes, so I will get a list of the working apps as soon as I've had time to do so. To answer your other question, I installed HBC on 4.3U using the modding guides available anywhere and I have made sure that priiloader won't let updates occur.
January 14, 2011 05:06PM
"modding guides" - that doesn't sound good. sounds like the programs which do work are likely ones which aren't supported here, those are generally the programs around which "modding guides" are based.
January 14, 2011 09:21PM
"Modding guides" means guides that help you soft-mod a Wii, ie. exploits and Hackmii installer use. I'm not sure what SifJar could possibly be thinking when I describe how I installed HBC.

Anyway, here's a list of working apps that can use the USB HDD fully:
Genesis Plus GX
Savegame Manager GX
WiiXplorer
{removed}

I will admit that my primary reason for increasing the compatibility of my HDD with my apps is so I can finally use WiiSX or a Saturn emulator. I figured that if I can run HBC off of the USB HDD, then perhaps the other apps would work, and that includes the ones I tried to have access the HDD but failed, like FCEU GX, SNES9xGX, and others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 11:17PM by SifJar.
January 14, 2011 10:36PM
{removed} is not supported here (neither are most WADs). Did you install any patched IOS or cIOS? that may be the problem, or rather why the other apps work. What IOS is your HBC running on? (Press the home button and it should say in the top right corner.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 11:17PM by SifJar.
January 14, 2011 11:03PM
What, no one in here uses forwarders? I don't care what most people's stances are, but forwarders are brilliant for those homebrew I access all the time but want to continue using the Wii system menu (SM War anyone?). That's why I got {removed}.

Anyway, my HBC says I'm using IOS58 v24.32. I don't know much about IOS at all. When hacking my Wii, I was recommended some IOS patchers (I think DOP-Mii was one of them). I let them do their thing without regard to what they were doing (because I had a NAND backup and bootmii as boot2, so bricking wasn't an issue).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 11:16PM by SifJar.
January 14, 2011 11:16PM
People here use forwarders, but the tools used to install WADs are not publicly discussed on these forums as they can easily be used for piracy and also require a cIOS to function, two no-nos on this forum.

EDIT: I had to remove the name of the tool, just in case anyone were to google it and pirate with it. Please refrain from mentioning it again were possible. Thanks for your co-operation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 11:18PM by SifJar.
January 14, 2011 11:35PM
I understand. Sorry about that.
January 14, 2011 11:44PM
No problem, you were answering the question. Thanks for your cooperation :)
January 16, 2011 12:04AM
Does anyone have any insights, recommendations, or suggestions to resolve this issue?
January 16, 2011 03:04AM
Are you using the latest Genesis Plus GX or an older version that uses a cIOS? WiiXplorer is also possibly using a cIOS and Savegame Manager GX definitely does. So as I suspected, it appears your HDD just isn't compatible with libogc's USBStorage code.
January 16, 2011 03:24AM
tueidj
Are you using the latest Genesis Plus GX or an older version that uses a cIOS? WiiXplorer is also possibly using a cIOS and Savegame Manager GX definitely does. So as I suspected, it appears your HDD just isn't compatible with libogc's USBStorage code.
That's what I was thinking.
January 16, 2011 03:24AM
I'm using Gen Plus GX 1.4.1 and the latest revision of WiiXplorer (r210). Does anyone know if previous HBC versions would work and, if so, where to get them? I've searched far and wide and can't find naught but HackMii v0.8 with HBC 1.0.8.
January 16, 2011 03:39AM
Since you're on 4.3 you can't use a previous version (it gets deleted by the System Menu).
January 16, 2011 04:47AM
If I downgrade my system menu (don't worry, I got brick protection), then can anyone suggest a version of HBC that has a better chance of working and where to get it?
January 16, 2011 10:11AM
Don't downgrade your System Menu, use Priiloader hacks. Simply turn on the "block checks for HAXX, RZDx,etc" and older hombrew channel and twilight hacks will not be deleted.

BTW, what brick protection do you have?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 11:10AM by metroid_maniac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login