Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Had HBC but thought removed

Posted by minwen 
Had HBC but thought removed
July 02, 2010 09:31PM
Ok I hope this is the right place and if not I am sorry. I have searched high and low for this information and thus far was not able to find it. I had HBC installed for a while and decided to remove it. I did that a while ago. My system reports it is 4.3U and last week or so it said there was an update. So I tried to do it, since I haven't been using HBC. Now for some strange reason I keep getting an error saying Update Failed. I called Nintendo and they had me send in the system. I should mention the Wii works fine. Plays games, remotes work, can use all channels, can download games from the shop channel, and can even play Netflix with it. Anyways, I sent it into Nintendo and they said it was "permanently damaged" due to HBC and they could not and would not fix it and are sending back to me. Now I don't have any HBC stuff on the SD card or anything like that. I just want to know when I get it back what I can do if anything to take my system back to a normal Virgin Wii or if that is even possible. I am looking for help if anyone can direct me. I have no clue what could be causing this update function not to work other than something that maybe changed the internal memory software. Nintendo said I would need to buy a new Wii to fix the issue which I find hard to believe.

Thanks again, searching the net has got me no where since I don't have HBC installed anymore.
Re: Had HBC but thought removed
July 02, 2010 09:35PM
HBC doesn't damage your Wii to the point of being unable to update, you must have done something else.
July 02, 2010 09:39PM
It updated to 4.3u before and had been working no problems. It all started when I tried to download the lastest update next to last week of June. I am looking for answers to get it back to a normal Wii. If I knew of something else that was done I would include that info. The Wii isn't bricked, just want to be able to keep updating. Thanks again. By the way I am not just some kid trying to save my back end.
July 02, 2010 10:20PM
Don't you mean you're on 4.2? 4.3 is the newest update and just came out June 21st.
July 02, 2010 10:25PM
According to the system menu I am at 4.3u, June 21st must be when I had the issue starting then. The system keeps telling me I need to update, have the blue flashing, but it doesn't actually do it. Who knows maybe it did actually update and this is all just some other issue happening. I recall at some point on another update it told me it was removing illegal software, but thats been quite a while ago after I decided to remove HBC. I had HBC on previous to Christmas 2009 but removed it. I even remembering the Wii updating when I played Wii Resort the first time. Since then I have been able to update the Wii with no issues. Now I only get error code 32017 when trying to do the update. Like I said Nintendo had me send the system in to them so now I am waiting for them to send it back to me. They said they won't fix it because it appeared to have HBC installed at one point. There must be logs on the Wii or something that they looked at. I guess if worst case is I can't update my Wii anymore that's fine since everything else is appearing to work for me. Just wanted to figure out what I might be able to do to fix the issue.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 10:27PM by minwen.
July 02, 2010 10:38PM
You already have the latest version of the system menu. Anyway, 4.2 and 4.3 do nothing other than attempt to block homebrew, so there is absolutely no benefit up updating above 4.1. For now, just don't worry about it, since it won't affect you at all. However, if you ever have reason to update something and the official update continues to fail, you can download it with NUS Downloader and install it with a WAD installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 10:40PM by jbc007.
July 02, 2010 10:57PM
jbc007
You already have the latest version of the system menu. Anyway, 4.2 and 4.3 do nothing other than attempt to block homebrew, so there is absolutely no benefit up updating above 4.1. For now, just don't worry about it, since it won't affect you at all. However, if you ever have reason to update something and the official update continues to fail, you can download it with NUS Downloader and install it with a WAD installer.

Thanks! I got off the phone with Nintendo and told them to ship it back not to leave it sit there for 5 days. Right off the bat the lady was semi-rude and said "Did you not understand what the email said?" Then talking further she told me HBC can never be totally removed and the Wii could never be restored back to the way it was even the people putting out the hacks know this. I told her I found that hard to believe since just like a computer you can restore the programming. Anywho, thanks for the help etc. I did ask what happens if I get the Wii back and it suddenly doesn't work as when I shipped it, she said to call and we would go from there. Which that last comment tells me they just don't want to mess with it since it had HBC.
February 03, 2011 07:21PM
Moderator Edit: Nope. That crap has no place on these forums. Read the rules before posting such links.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 07:46PM by SifJar.
June 21, 2011 03:34AM
FIXED IT!

I had the exact same problem as mentioned above ("System says 4.3U is installed but then still tells me I need to update and fails). This was a problem to me because I wanted to access the Shop channel to get Netflix. I solved this by using the SmashStack exploit to load HackMii. From there, I uninstalled BootMii/IOS. After that I went to System Settings and successfully updated my system, and the Homebrew Channel is still installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 03:35AM by gstep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login