Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I tried to install StartPatch

Posted by BenoitRen 
I tried to install StartPatch
July 18, 2011 02:45AM
(Softmod discussion gets you banned? This is a homebrew site, right? Also, this post mentions cIOS, but I'm not trying to pirate anything!)

I have a Wii with System Menu 4.1E. I used Bannerbomb long ago to install Homebrew Channel so I could play the imported GameCube games I own. Later I installed IOS56 and the new Shop Channel so I could buy some games.

Then, a week ago, I wanted to play Sonic Colours. Unfortunately, the game comes with an update to System Menu 4.2. I turned off my Wii, googled, and eventually asked for help on a video game message board I frequent. It was suggested that I install StartPatch to block disc updates.

According to a guide, I needed {cIOS} first. I downloaded the installer and installed {cIOS} without a problem. Next I tried to install StartPatch, but it gave me an ES Identify error. According to the guide this meant that I needed to install {different cIOS} or upgrade to System Menu 4.2.

Wary of installing another cIOS, I tried to upgrade. The first step was upgrading boot2 to version 4 using DOP-Mii. However, the latest DOP-Mii doesn't include the upgrade. Getting the upgrade as a .wad file seemed to be a pain, so I backed out.

I installed {different cIOS} as IOS248 with IOS38 as base. The guide suggested the base, but didn't tell me in which slot to put the cIOS, so I just took the first regular slot.

At this point, I tried to install StartPatch again, but it still didn't work. It gave me the same error. I tried to install using several different IOS, but none worked.

Next I wanted to run a system check using DOP-Mii, but it gave me a DSI exception. Subsequent tries had the application freeze. I kept trying, and sometimes I'd get a DSI exception again, and other times it'd freeze.

I figured that maybe IOS248 was to blame, but as DOP-Mii became unusable I couldn't remove it that way. I tried the WiiBrew version of DOP-Mii, which patched my IOS, but otherwise had the same problems.

The only other way to remove cIOS that I knew of was {Removed}, so I put it on my SD card. But the application also got me a DSI exception and freezes.

I wondered if changing the IOS in use would help, as both DOP-Mii and {Removed} run as IOS61 by default. I quickly changed the used IOS in {Removed}, and it didn't freeze any more. Could I somehow have corrupted it by trying to run the StartPatch installation using it? I thought it didn't modify those.

I removed IOS248, or so I thought. It stayed in the list. Next I wanted to reinstall IOS61 to hopefully fix it, but then it started asking me questions about fake-signing and permission, and it hit me that I didn't know what I was doing, and I turned my Wii off.

The next day I got the idea to quickly change the IOS used by {Removed}, and it didn't freeze any more. I was able to remove IOS248 successfully, and since then no homebrew application freezes any more.

When I try to install StartPatch again, I get a GetFileStats (-101) error.

What do I do from here on out to get StartPatch installed? I'm lost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 05:10AM by bg4545.
Re: I tried to install StartPatch
July 18, 2011 05:04AM
Homebrew and "softmods" are two very different things. Don't mention cIOSes or MMM again.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.