Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Region free possible without softmod by re-exploiting each time?

Posted by saber 
Region free possible without softmod by re-exploiting each time?
December 25, 2011 01:29AM
Is it possible to use a homebrew starter (such as HackMii Installer via Super Smash Bros), and then just directly use one of its features (or run some 3rd-party thing) to play region-free, without actually installing anything onto the wii?

I.e.: do this each time you play:
1. Put in Smash Bros and SD card.
2. Open the cracked map to load some homebrew installer/app.
3. Select region-free feature.
4. Put in an 'other region' disc.
5. Play.
6. Turn off wii.
7. No evidence of hacking left on wii / no homebrew installed.

You advice is greatly appreciated :-)

The system is NTSC-U. We have super smash-bros brawl, an SD-card and a USB stick. I know my way around tech and I could probably install homebrew, keep system updates at bay, etc. The problem is, I am doing this for my extended family's wii, so it is better I leave them with a safe way where they do not have to worry about updates, even if they have to re-exploit each time they want to play an 'other region' game.

Thanks for your help!
Re: Region free possible without softmod by re-exploiting each time?
December 25, 2011 01:57AM
Yeah, that'd work, but you should know there is currently no issue with updates, and the worst that can ever happen is homebrew channel would be removed. If you just install a custom channel for Gecko OS, it'll survive every update. And it'll be a whole lot easier for your relatives than using an exploit everytime. Also, FYI, LetterBomb is easier to use than Smash Stack as an exploit - it doesn't even require a game, it exploits the Wii's message board.
January 01, 2012 01:07AM
Hi SifJar

Thanks for your insight.

Can you give me some specifics about how it might work. For example, which 'installer' should I run with the exploit, and then which 'app' should I run from the 'installer' to go straight to a region free tool (without installing anything)?
January 01, 2012 01:35AM
You don't run an installer if you don't want to install. Just put the app you want to load as boot.elf on the root of the SD card. I advise TinyLoad.
January 03, 2012 05:18AM
The only problem with it that I can foresee is having to go to the day that the letterbomb is available on. Sometimes it's the day before, sometimes it's not. But I can't tell you specifically if Letterbomb stays on one specific day or if it "travels" as I can't use it yet.
Now, what you could do to make it region free is to install Homebrew channel then priiloader. There will be evidence of hacking it, but you're really not going to have to worry about it that much. Only issue with Priiloader is the change in its hack file structure. It says in the version changes about the change itself, but it's easy to overlook and might be tricky to work around. It'll make it region free, though, if you want it to.

Edit: Priiloader can also block updates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 05:19AM by d3m0n1q_733rz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login