Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noticed there's an update for 4.3

Posted by d3m0n1q_733rz 
Noticed there's an update for 4.3
March 15, 2012 09:40AM
Hey,
I noticed that there's an update for menu 4.3 that runs when 4.3 is already installed. I think it might block the letterbomb method, but I'm not 100% on it. All I know is that I'm working on an LU75 and it's not running it. MAC is correct, time and date directories are correct as far as I can tell, SD card is formatted properly and I can transfer game saves to and from...all I can think of is it's blocked.
Any verification on this?
I see some sites have already verified my supposed "BS" that it doesn't work on older Wii models with non-standard MAC prefixes isn't just BS.
I think we might need to verify that the SD card is even being read on message board loading. If so, the exploit may be able to be modified. If this IS the case, a buffer overflow may be a better alternative if one can be found within the messaging system.
Last, how secure's the e-mail system? Considering that the Wii console can receive updates via the message board, it stands to reason that there's a universal non-MAC based address that is accepted. I'm thinking PC e-mail server spoof if my theory holds up.

Well, off to bed for me.
Re: Noticed there's an update for 4.3
March 15, 2012 12:44PM
There has been no update.
Still waiting for a picture of your (or anyone else's) "non-standard" MAC address.
March 15, 2012 07:37PM
There has been an update. I was on System Menu 4.3U and was prompted to run an update once I set the wifi settings to use my wifi connection. I don't know what it was for, but I do know that I couldn't run the Letterbomb after that. It was most likely just an IOS update for channels or something though.

And requesting pictures on sites that don't allow file uploading or even PMs is easy, uploading them or PMing them is difficult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 07:51PM by d3m0n1q_733rz.
March 15, 2012 08:15PM
There has been nothing updated on NUS for quite a while. 8th September 2010 by the looks of things: [wii.marcansoft.com]

When you change WiFi settings, it ALWAYS asks you to check for an update, it is not a sign that there actually is an update. It'll only have actually installed something if for some reason you had downgraded an IOS or deleted some channel included in updates.

Even if there was an IOS update or something (which there isn't), it wouldn't stop LetterBomb seeing as it is a System Menu exploit, not an IOS exploit. There is some other factor stopping it working, it has nothing to do with the update prompt that appears from changing WiFi settings.

Also, you do not need PMs to upload an image. There are literally dozens of websites you can upload images to (many without having to create an account) and link them here or use IMG BBcode tags to post them directly in the forum. Your excuses are completely invalid.
March 15, 2012 10:57PM
d3m0n1q_733rz
And requesting pictures on sites that don't allow file uploading or even PMs is easy, uploading them or PMing them is difficult.
Go to tinypic.com and upload a picture, then copy the link and post it like so:

If it's big then choose to re-size it though, unlike what I just did.

d3m0n1q_733rz
There has been an update. I was on System Menu 4.3U and was prompted to run an update once I set the wifi settings to use my wifi connection. I don't know what it was for, but I do know that I couldn't run the Letterbomb after that. It was most likely just an IOS update for channels or something though.
There's no new updates. It may prompt you to update if you have deleted an IOS/MIOS, downgraded an IOS/MIOS, or deleted/downgraded a system channel. There is no update that blocks Letterbomb.
March 16, 2012 05:53AM
Yeah, I found out the update didn't block letterbomb. For some reason, my 2GB card that works fine for everything else needed a total reformat and I had to use my SDHC card to get it working. But I didn't claim it was a new update, I just said an update that runs on 4.3. As it turns out, the update made a few changes to supposedly make the system more stable, as they put it, and supposedly added Nintendo+ features. They hadn't updated they Wii before as they had never used the wifi connection. I thought, 4.3u, okay no update needed, right? I connected, checked for the updates as usual and was surprised to find it had one. So surprise surprise.
I'll see about taking the picture of my friend's Wii system's MAC when next I see them. But I wonder, what would it accomplish?
March 17, 2012 11:34PM
It would accomplish proving that you are not talking nonsense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login