Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3.2 --> 4.1 personal questions

Posted by textgenerator 
3.2 --> 4.1 personal questions
July 14, 2009 02:43PM
Hi,

I am currently on 3.2 and i have the homebrew channel installed on my Wii and I wasnt planning on updating to 3.4 or higher, because of the new Nintendo policy that came with that. However, because I want to play the new Contra game and a couple of other things that will come out, I kind of have to. Also, the new ability to load wiiware from the SD card sounds great (i have a question about that later).

So anyway, I've been out of this scene for quite some time and had to do a lot of reading to update myself and before I do anything, I would like someones opinion on the following plan:

As far as homebrew concerned, I really want to stay able to use the following:

- the ability to run Gecko OS through HBC so i can keep playing my NTSC GC games.
- to keep using the savegame-extractor/installer through HBC

As I dont care about any other homebrew options and since I already have the HBC channel installed, from what I understand I can just update to 4.1 without having to do anything else at all to keep using the abovementioned. Or perhaps I should first update the HBC so it wont get removed? Could it be that its just that simple though or am I overlooking something?

Thats about it. Any help or ideas will be very much appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 03:21PM by textgenerator.
Re: 3.2 --> 4.1 personal questions
July 14, 2009 02:47PM
Please read the front page of this forum, then come back
July 14, 2009 03:21PM
edited. its ok now, right? sorry btw should have known
July 14, 2009 05:13PM
good. Gecko OS will still work. I don't think Savegame Extractor/Installer will still work. Haven't tried. preloader and ciosUSB2 (?) will not work anymore, so if you ever plan on installing them don't update. don't use any "homebrew updaters" many people get bricked (wrecked) by them.
July 14, 2009 05:22PM
Thanks. Well, Gecko OS is most important to me, so in that case i will go for it. Just one more thing: what about the HBC, should i update that first before I update the firmware of the Wii itself, or doesnt it matter in which order i do that?
July 14, 2009 06:46PM
if you install cIOS USB 2.0 before you update it'll still work after the update.
July 14, 2009 06:53PM
Hi,

Ok so i just updated and the HBC still works fine. However, I have a very annoying problem now: when i enter the save data section for wii, the screen freezes and stays like that. This problem ONLY occurs when I have my SD card in and I have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions??
July 14, 2009 06:57PM
Wait, I just formatted my SD card, hoping this would solve anything. Somehow the Wii now also freezes without an SD card in! So it cant be the SD card which i formatted all for nothing. I'm terrible, i know...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 06:58PM by textgenerator.
July 14, 2009 07:00PM
Hmmm, that is odd. Oh and dont double post use edit button. But anyway, I've never heard of this happening before. Did you just do an official upgrade? Are there still any trucha IOS on your Wii? Did you ever install any cIOS?
July 14, 2009 07:15PM
Sorry about the double post, i sort of panicked.

No, thats exactly the weird thing about this. I did indeed update the official way, through the wifi connection. And I never installed any IOS whatsoever. This is just weird, because when I'm in a game the savefiles just load. Its just that i cant browse/copy them or anything cause the screen freezes. All i have is the HBC installed, with some homebrew apps on my SD card.

This is killing me, I cant find anything about this problem. Well, not specifically. The best thing i could find about Wii's freezing at certain points is to format them. However, that would make me lose the HBC so I dont want to do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 07:30PM by textgenerator.
July 14, 2009 07:35PM
Well, I'd say thats the least of your worries. HBC is easy to get back with bannerbomb and hackmii installer. I'd be more worried about the fact you'll lose any saves and any wii shop downloads, without being able to get them back for free. I dont suppose you have BootMii as boot2 with a NAND dump?
July 14, 2009 07:40PM
You're right, one of the bigger problems is probably my clear savefile for both Mario Kart and SSB (theres a lot of manhours in those). And I am also afraid of the shop issue.

No, I dont have BootMii. Actually i dont even know if formatting would fix anything. The problem occurred since I installed the latest upgrade, could it be that something just went wrong with the official firmware patch? And if I would format my Wii, I think the Firmware update stays and so the problem would then remain? Just a thought.

I'm still searching around and have come up with nothing. Other people whove had freezing problems just received stupid comments like "return your wii, its broke". There should be a reasonable explanation to the sudden freezing prob.
July 14, 2009 09:22PM
Well, if you still had the trucha bug, I'd advise something, but you dont, and there is no way to get it back that is supported here afaik. But maybe just wait for the next update, it MAY fix it if something did indeed go wrong with the update. But anyway, install BootMii as boot2 now and take a NAND dump (if you can install as boot2. If you cant, dont bother installing as IOS). Also, run this: IOSCheck, just to make sure you have no Trucha Bug enabled IOS.
July 14, 2009 11:46PM
Judging by your IP, you don't live in Japan. So you shouldn't ever have to upgrade to 4.1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2009 11:46PM by Arikado.
July 15, 2009 12:36AM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I actually managed to fix this in very very weird way, using the AnyTitle_Deleter app, after trying a lot of other stuff before that. It showed some files that shouldnt have been there anymore and I deleted those. After that everything worked fine again. It is rediculous that this fixed it, because the files must have been there while i was using the older firmware. I really don't see a connection, but it seems it has to do something with the fw 4.0 combination.

Anyway, I'm really really glad its fixed :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login