Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bootmii+formatting

Posted by Soundlogic 
Re: Bootmii+formatting
July 20, 2010 04:48AM
Aobx
Unfortunately, TC doesn't have Bootmii/boot2. Apart from this case, wouldn't mini applications be able to bypass that protection Waninkoko created? For example, Comex's Nand Formatter could restore things anew.

Wanky's updater only patches the system menu. Homebrew applications can still do whatever they want, whether they run on IOS or MINI. The problem is that there is no way for him to run any homebrew.

Come to think of it, Wanky's updater probably trucha patches IOS 80, or what ever IOS it has the system menu use (hopefully someone else can confirm this). If this is the case, you can install a mod chip if your disc drive is old enough to play DVDs, otherwise install a hardware device that can run games from USB (we won't help you find, install, or use such things, as they are usually used for piracy). After that, find a WAD installer or other application capable of installing system menu and IOSes; modify it to run on an IOS on your wii that still works, most likely meaning your system menu's IOS (if you don't know how to do this, you must find someone who is willing to do it for you, which may be difficult); and burn this application to a disc, or put the ISO on an HDD if appropriate, (I can't remember how to do this, but someone else can probably tell you).

On the other hand, it may not be worth this much effort for a chance to fix it.
July 20, 2010 11:49AM
Yeah, if he had a way of running homebrew, reinstalling the System Menu would work fine and he could then update again. But he doesn't as no games work and he doesn't have a modchip.
July 20, 2010 09:39PM
What is TC? And yes. blocking updates shouldn't protect from a nand dump, I just can't get to any homebrew. Is there anyway to bypass waninoko's block from the system menu?
July 20, 2010 09:58PM
July 20, 2010 11:17PM
Bother. But what is TC? Any ideas how to fix my wii?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 11:18PM by Soundlogic.
July 21, 2010 05:55AM
Like I said, if you install a mod chip you may be able to fix it. Otherwise it is impossible unless another exploit is found within the system menu, which is extremely unlikely.
July 21, 2010 04:28PM
Soundlogic, since you're so curious, TC means "topic creator", it's not a technical term. Just a shorter way to refer to the one who created the topic.

By the way, to which point having a modchip is legal?
July 21, 2010 04:46PM
In some countries, modchips are legal. I don't think they are in UK, and I nor do I think they are in US. But that may be the only possible way for him to fix it.
July 21, 2010 07:23PM
What exactly does a mod chip do?
July 21, 2010 07:37PM
Allows burnt discs to be played. Generally used for piracy, occasionally for legal backups or import games (most have region free capabilities, or did until 4.2), and can also be used (in conjunction with trucha bug/patched IOS) to load a homebrew disc (i.e. disc with a homebrew app on it) or modified version of official discs (e.g. NSMB with custom levels, or Rock Band/Guitar Hero with custom songs).
July 21, 2010 08:00PM
But I can't load any disk games, so would the mod chip help with that?

Edit: Doesn't DVDx do that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 08:03PM by Soundlogic.
July 21, 2010 08:46PM
No. DVDx allows you to play DVDs i.e. movies. Nothing to do with burnt Wii games.

And the reason a modchip may be able to fix the issue if because you could make a homebrew disc that uses IOS80 (which definitely works perfectly, as SM loads, which it would not it IOS80 was corrupted or missing), and use the modchip to boot said disc. The disc could then be used to restore other IOS and fix SM. The reason no discs or channels load is probably due to a bunch of corrupted or missing IOS. Using a homebrew disc set to use a working IOS should bypass this issue and allow you to fix your Wii.
July 21, 2010 10:14PM
Wait... So what exactly does the modchip do, why doesn't it work otherwise?
July 21, 2010 10:23PM
Lets a burnt disc be recognised as a "pressed" (i.e. official) disc by the Wii.
July 21, 2010 10:26PM
OK.... Are modchips legal? Also: Since you can put wii channels on a sd card, would it be possible to load a homebrew channel using ios 80 onto a sd card to put on my wii?
July 21, 2010 10:31PM
Modchips are legal in a few countries (Australia i think), but not in most AFAIK (e.g. UK and US I think). As you are in US, they are illegal for you.

And no, you can't put a homebrew channel on the SD card, because the channels ticket must be installed on your Wii, which it wouldn't be.
July 21, 2010 10:53PM
So what is a ticket contain exactly?
July 21, 2010 11:15PM
Its a file on NAND, added when a title (e.g. channel) is installed. Can't be added without running a homebrew app, which would negate the need to add it in the first place.
July 21, 2010 11:16PM
Can one 'piggyback' off an existing ticket, say the homebrew channel or a forwarder already installed, to load a different channel?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 11:17PM by Soundlogic.
July 21, 2010 11:28PM
I'm pretty sure no, or someone would have done it long ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login