Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Black Screen Brick Problem; Have Bootmii and can't run HBC

Posted by itsameSMB 
Black Screen Brick Problem; Have Bootmii and can't run HBC
June 29, 2009 03:17AM
Okay, so I think it's safe to say I bricked my Wii pretty well. I'm not sure how it happened exactly (then again, I'm as casual of a homebrew user as a nursing home resident is a casual gamer, so I'm not very knowledgeable about these things). Let me explained what happened.

I was turning on my Wii the other night with SSBB in the Wii and I got a black screen. I had this issue before, so I did what I did before to fix it: I put in another Nintendo game disc and rebooted (used Punch-Out!!, though I don't think it would matter). When I did so, the Wii booted just fine. I started SSBB up and went online, but in the waiting room, my Wii froze up. I tried a hard reboot and got the black screen again. This time, however, the disc method didn't work. The rest of the information I think that's important is down below.

What happens when your Wii boots up? (How far it gets, does the wiimote work, does the system freeze, go black, etc.)
When I boot without the SD card in, I get a black screen. When I boot with the SD card in, I do get bootmii to pop up, but when I try to load the Wii or Homebrew Channel, I still get the black screen.

What Version of the System Menu is installed on the Wii?
4.0U. I also have boot2v2, if that makes any difference.

Is the Homebrew Channel or the Twilight Hack installed on the system?
Yes, I installed the MBC a few months ago with the Twilight Hack. I believe the version is 1.0.3 (probably trivial, but I want to make sure I don't leave anything out).

Does your Wii have a Drivechip?
Nope. All softmodded.

Have you been able to boot homebrew in any way?
Unfortunately, no. When I try to load it straight from the SD card, it either returns to the main menu of bootmii (in the case of *.elf files) or says that it "Failed to open the selected file!"

That's everything I can think of. If there's anything I can do about this or there is any more information I need to provide, please let me know. I thank you in advance for help and I apologize for any trivial information I've provided.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2009 10:21PM by itsameSMB.
Re: Another Brick Problem; Have Bootmii
June 29, 2009 03:20AM
Have you ever tried ot install any fail software on your wii? (WADS,Downgrades,softmii,etc.)

Edit: And what do you mean by "Another Brick Problem"?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 03:21AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
June 29, 2009 03:23AM
Did you make a NAND backup while your Wii was still working?
June 29, 2009 03:28AM
WaxyPumpkin72
Have you ever tried ot install any fail software on your wii? (WADS,Downgrades,softmii,etc.)

Edit: And what do you mean by "Another Brick Problem"?
Never. No reason for that stuff.

I meant "Another Brick Problem" relative to all the other brick problems here. Sorry for that.
MattMan
Did you make a NAND backup while your Wii was still working?
Tried too, but for whatever reason it failed.
June 29, 2009 04:23AM
I think you will have to wait until a program like AnyRegion Changer is developed to run on MINI.
June 29, 2009 04:47AM
Well, I suppose it's better than being told I'm boned...

Appreciate the help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 04:47AM by itsameSMB.
June 29, 2009 06:34AM
What errors did you get when you attempted to dump NAND?
June 29, 2009 04:04PM
This has happened before... see how much your NAND fs is being used.
July 21, 2009 10:19PM
Sorry for taking so long on a response. I realize that I should have done some more research before I came to this board.
yellowstar
What errors did you get when you attempted to dump NAND?

Um, the first time, I don't recall exactly. It was something with "=-1" at the end or something to that effect and it told me that it failed. When I looked at it on the computer, it said that the dump was 0 KB, which seems to be a common problem around here...

In any case, I formatted the SD card after the bricking (not without moving the contents temporarily to a PC) and then tried another backup, which succeeded this time.

Does that help?

metroid_maniac
This has happened before...

I read through it, but I have two issues that prevent me from getting a "fixed" NAND dump from bushing:

1) I can't run xyzzy to get my Wii's keys, even though I dumped my Wii's NAND.

Is there any other way to extract them besides xyzzy or is there some other way to load it other than directly from the SD card via bootmii (that always results in failure for me and the HBC doesn't load for me with BootMii)? Would any of these possibilities be possible without me using any modchips or flash programmers, and if so, what are they?

2) I can't seem to find anyone with bootmii that has a Wii with boot2 v2 (the version I have) who's willing to make a dump for me.

The instructions said that the boot2 version on the brick wii must be higher than or equal to that of the non-bricked Wii's, so is there a way to use a working Wii's NAND dump with a higher boot2 version than mine (perhaps downgrading? I don't know) or is there a place where I would be allowed to ask for an acceptable working NAND dump?

metroid_maniac
see how much your NAND fs is being used.
It says that 80.9% is used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 12:35AM by itsameSMB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login